MacKenzie

MacKenzie - Pizza Dough

I keep seeing 550 as the ideal temp for pizzas. I'll try that first and see if toppings or crust wants to char first. Hopefully it's a tie.

You can't really go by that. Each dough recipe works well for a specific temperature. Some doughs will seriously burn in the 550*-600* range while other doughs can go up into the 700*-800* range. That is why I asked McKenzie what temp she cooked at.

Whatever dough you use start at the recommended temp per the recipe and tweak after that.

You can't really go by that. Each dough recipe works well for a specific temperature. Some doughs will seriously burn in the 550*-600* range while other doughs can go up into the 700*-800* range. That is why I asked McKenzie what temp she cooked at.

Whatever dough you use start at the recommended temp per the recipe and tweak after that.

My recipe is like I said the same with no oil. It a 65% hydration and I use the type 00 flour. I cook that at 750f-800f.

Also, I see you are using parchment paper between the dough and the stone, correct?

I prefer it as well. You don't ever stick, slides off the peal cleanly, and there's no risk of burning the corn meal on the stone. It also doesn't interfere with crust development, as far as I've been able to tell. But, if you want to be 100% sure, you can lift the pizza up after about 5 minutes on the stone and remove the parchment paper.

Sorry for being such a novice MacK, but what is the "window pane test"?

If you pick up your dough and can stretch it so thin that you can see through it, without it tearing, it's developed the right amount of gluten. That's the "window pane test."

2d402f54300fd8d286a4d380291e6d4a.jpgFirst cook, non competition pizza. This was tricky for a newbie. I was too anxious and put the pizza in before my KK got up to 500. Patience is a virtue I am trying to learn! My sauce was too juicy and my whole wheat crust a bit thin, but my sweetie who is a pizza and tomato lover devoured it. :) This was my first homemade pizza and I loosely tried to pattern after my favorite Papa Murphy's Gourmet Vegetarian, except lotsa red sauce. Zucchini, yellow crook neck, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, Anaheim pepper, basil, oregano, cheddar and parm. Second cook in now, homegrown potatoes and beets wrapped in foil baking with all that leftover heat!

Getting consistent pizza results can be trickier then one would think. A few tips to help.

Use a scale and weigh your ingredients. This is especially important with the flour. It is really hard to get the same amount of flour time and again if you use dry measuring cups. Same goes with water.

With pizza toppings, in most cases less is better especially if your trying to load up a bunch of different toppings. Also be mindful of the water content in some vegetable toppings.

Always make sure your kamado is properly heat soaked including the pizza/baking stone. This assures you that pizza from one night to the next will cook the same.

Once you figure out cook times, no peaking. Opening the dome lets a lot of heat escape. To get a look towards the end of the cook just Crack the dome open just enough to see inside and close immediately if it's not done. Constantly looking will cause your crust to finish before the toppings.

Follow the recommended cook temperature for the dough recipe your using. Each different dough recipe was formulated for a specific temperature range. If you go outside that range your results will not be optimum.

And lastly don't get frustrated and give up. One will experience many pizza fails on the road to perfection.