tomahawk66

Duck Leg Confit: sous vide

Prepping for my folks visit next week so getting on as many sous vide cooks as possible so I won't have to be running around cooking while they are here.

Like most of the sous vide cooking I do these duck legs would be perfect finished on the KK...

One of the few quality meats we can get cheap here in Shanghai is duck: I picked up these legs for just over US$12

e9c2e7b58ec13eb7381fdfe157c46250.jpg

First the dry cure/brine. I used sea salt, garlic, fresh thyme, bay leaves and pepper

0fb71be91f2625f947ae91406c542770.jpg

5806055bb21e1b17a1c9435c0e11eacf.jpg

These will go in the fridge uncovered for 24 hours before washing them off, vacuum packing them with duck fat, thyme, bay leaves and pepper and sous vide for 12 hours at 170F.

I then ice bath them and let them mature in the fridge until I need them (they tend to get better after a week and I believe should be safe to eat a lot longer than that).

To finish, it depends on my mood... Duck salad is a good one, or just grilled/pan fried and served with gratin dauphinois and some greens with a pan sauce (a fat separator is essential for this!). I keep all the fat and use it for roasting potatoes - AMAZING!

I'll update this thread as they progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, those look great, and your technique is roughly the same as mine.

One needs very little fat this way. If one wants some fat to borrow for pan-frying later, that's how much to use. Otherwise, less.

The gelée is also worth separating, don't waste it on the fire.

Various stellar cooks (Thomas Keller) have weighed in that the only authenticity one loses by this approach is the faintly rancid taste to the fat that the original technique produces. I'll pass. Same idea as burning a paella socarrat on the beach, and waxing philosophic about how good it is, because one is at the beach. I'll take golden.

Yes, those look great, and your technique is roughly the same as mine.

One needs very little fat this way. If one wants some fat to borrow for pan-frying later, that's how much to use. Otherwise, less.

The gelée is also worth separating, don't waste it on the fire.

Various stellar cooks (Thomas Keller) have weighed in that the only authenticity one loses by this approach is the faintly rancid taste to the fat that the original technique produces. I'll pass. Same idea as burning a paella socarrat on the beach, and waxing philosophic about how good it is, because one is at the beach. I'll take golden.

Agreed! Who wants rancid if you can avoid it! Socarrat is an interesting one: my Spanish friend from near Barcelona likes his a few shades darker than golden but certainly not burnt. I guess it's similar to toasting white bread in that there are a lot of shades from blond to dark browned.

With regards the gelée, I separate this from the fat but usually use it to make a super thick pan sauce, first deglazing the pan with red wine, adding the gelée and a spoonful or two of maranello cherry preserve.

Any other uses for the gelée?

Any other uses for duck leg confit rather than straight up or in salads?

Sounds awesome!

Thanks GoFrogs! And like with so many sous vide dishes it involves a lot of passive cooking time but is actually extremely easy to do, hard to get wrong and quicker in active time than doing it any other way!

Friends are always astounded when I tell them how long a dish takes: "2 days? are you crazy?!?" and think I'm a very dedicated chef rather than just a big boy with his toys!

Looking forward to progress updates! The dark meat parts of a duck are underrated for cooking. When we were in China last year, in Beijing we made a habit of stopping by this hole in the wall dumpling place by our hotel for breakfast, and my younger son always had a duck drumstick for breakfast. 

Looking forward to progress updates! The dark meat parts of a duck are underrated for cooking. When we were in China last year, in Beijing we made a habit of stopping by this hole in the wall dumpling place by our hotel for breakfast, and my younger son always had a duck drumstick for breakfast.

i love duck also: I plan to try your Peking duck recipe this week 😄

Update: after curing for 48 hours in a herb & garlic salt rub I washed down the duck legs and then bagged them in pairs with a couple of bay leaves, handful of thyme, black pepper, a little garlic powder and a good knob (or three!) of duck fat:

ac9bcd3fae0df6c284bbc493b1c862f5.jpg

Then into the water bath at 78C.

f20a27300c68146fb112b47a86265640.jpg

I'll take them out in around 12-18 hours time before chilling them and letting them mature in the fridge.

Any other uses for duck leg confit rather than straight up or in salads?

It's a classic ingredient for Cassoulet, a great bean dish. Indifferent versions won't make a believer, but the best versions are astounding. This is sometimes our favorite dish of the year, but it's a lot of work.

I now hover at the Basque border, making Spanish Fabada. This is often a simpler dish, but the French elaborations and technique are welcome here. (Though actually adding bread crumbs is a mythical way to accomplish the oven crust that should occur on its own, even if tourists have trained French restaurants to adopt this cheat.) (Also bear in mind that you can't get any two people in southwest France to agree on what is correct here.)

The killer ingredient in any bean dish, such as either of these, is Italian pork skin sausage (Cotechino). Spotty availability, usually before Christmas; this is what chest freezers are for.