wilburpan

Do you grill fish on the main grate or the searing grate?

Hopefully the question is self-explanatory. Most times when I’ve been using Smaug to grill fish (salmon and trout are what I’ve cooked the most with Smaug), I’ve cooked it over high direct heat on the main grate. I don’t use grilling baskets or other gadgets. I put the fish down on the grate itself.

Is there anyone here that would use the searing grate for this type of cook instead?

For the purposes of this discussion, I’m not including tuna, because when I’m grilling fish like salmon or trout, I’m looking to cook it (relatively) through, not searing the outside with a rare interior.

Haven't done a whole fish on the KK yet but ........ Last time I did one was a couple of weeks before the KK arrival and I did it on the Akron.

I did it direct on the main grate. When I do one on a KK that is how it will be done. Direct at about 500* - 600* on the main grate. I think if you did it down low in the bottom searing grate you would burn it before the inside was properly cooked.

As you stated - tuna excluded from this conversation.

I cook fish high up in the dome on the grate with the legs on it placed on the main grate. Once I put a piece of salmon up there whilst cooking something else on the main, and it came out super. It cooks slow enough that you can get it done exactly how you wish. It doesn't blow through the cook so fast such that the difference between too raw and too done is mere moments.

Thanks for the input, everyone! I guess I’ll keep on using the main grate for this type of cook.

I forgot to mention that for this sort of fish cook, I try to get Smaug as hot as possible as quickly as possible, usually within 15 minutes, and the thermometer is usually in the 500-600ºF range when I put the fish on. Under these conditions, no heat soaking is going on at all.

I target about 550 on the main grate or about 400 on the lower grate. I have never used the searing grate. I am looking for a crusty brown exterior and med-med rare interior and get similar results with the approaches above.

Benton

Benton,

What is the difference between the main great and the searing grate? I thought those were the same thing so I may need to refresh my terminology. Thanks.

Benton,

What is the difference between the main great and the searing grate? I thought those were the same thing so I may need to refresh my terminology. Thanks.

The searing grate is when you install the upper grate down low just above the fire basket. This gets your food only about 1" above the hot coals. Good for super searing a steak. (note: you might have a separate lower searing grate - I can't remember)
  • Like 1

The searing grate is when you install the upper grate down low just above the fire basket. This gets your food only about 1" above the hot coals. Good for super searing a steak. (note: you might have a separate lower searing grate - I can't remember)

What ck said. My reference is in regard to the 23". There is a lower grate and a main grate that sit on grooves in the body. The upper grate is either placed on top of the main grate for baking and pizza or flipped over and placed directly on the fire box handles for screaming hot searing.

Benton