MacKenzie

6 Cheese Smoke

It is something that I recommend you try but do it on a very cool day at your house. I like my temperature to be close to freezing that way I'm pretty sure the cheese won't melt. :)

Something impossible for me to do in tropical Singapore then... Maybe with a huge block of ice in a tray on the deflector?

Regards,

Oliver

In Singapore. Soon to be the proud owner of a Cobalt Blue 32 😄

Something impossible for me to do in tropical Singapore then... Maybe with a huge block of ice in a tray on the deflector?

Regards,

Oliver

Actually you can put a tray of ice in the KK and smoke away but that may not be enough in Singapore :(

Regards,

Oliver

Maybe not impossible in central GA but I would have to pick my day carefully.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

That could work for you ck, and you could also put a tray on ice in the grill to help things out.

On Guru I saw someone built a small smoke pot chamber that was off to the side. They then used flex duct to route the smoke into their kamado with a funky adapter to the lower vent. This allowed the smoke to cool before going into the kamado.

Would probably be easy to do with a KK's round controller port. Will have to find that post again.

On Guru I saw someone built a small smoke pot chamber that was off to the side. They then used flex duct to route the smoke into their kamado with a funky adapter to the lower vent. This allowed the smoke to cool before going into the kamado.

Would probably be easy to do with a KK's round controller port. Will have to find that post again.

Now that is thinking. Could run a pipe through ice chest setup. I like your thinking. I have been useing that hole for a smoke Guru.

That might have been Drunk J's  setup you saw on the Guru site, he was a mod there as well. 

I am also in the warm climate crowd, where 100*F inside the grill happens easily without fire.  I have done cheese couple of times, once with big a pan full of ice on the main grate, and the cheese sitting on the upper grate above it.  Worked out fine. I also tried a rig using a smokey joe as the fire chamber, venting the smoke into the KK.  I put a funnel over the vent of the smokey joe, and used some flex pipe to attach to the guru port on the KK - didnt work very well, i think the airflow was too restricted. 

I wonder what would happen if the ash was cleaned out of a kk, and you created a spiral of chips/pellets directly on the floor.  If you left the front door open, it would probably burn its way around the pattern?

Well, I was inspired to try cold smoking some cheese to give away as presents. It was a rainy day yesterday, so I thought that would help with temperature control. Boy, what an experience. I have not struggled with something that much in a long time. I lit one large piece of lump and 2 chunks of cherry wood in the basket splitter with the coal/wood in the front of the grill, placed the heat deflector onto the basket handles, and put the cheeses (1/2# chunks of med cheddar, xtra sharp cheddar, mozz, and pepper jack) onto the main grate shaded towards the rear. Had the top hat opened a couple of turns and the lower vent dial on the largest hole. Checked the dome temp after 30 minutes, had hardly moved off of "zero." Great, I thought, But, when I opened the lid, there was also hardly any smoke being generated. So, I took everything out and lit the wood in a second spot with the propane torch. Took off nicely and the temps hardly moved again. 30 minutes later, it was out. Removed and re-lit everything - again, but opened the left dial about a quarter turn open and closed the right dial off. Smoking well and temps weren't jumping up, but went up a little. Reminder, I'm doing all this in a drizzling rain, so not much fun at all. Came back 30 minutes later, out again! Now, I'm getting pissed off - been at this almost 2 hours and not making any progress whatsoever. Added 2 more chunks of cherry wood. Lit up everything, opened the lower vent to half open, opened the top vent 4 turns. Off she goes, smoking like a banshee. Watch the dome temp, crept up a bit and stopped around 80 F (guessing, as it was still not on scale on the dial), so I got a little antsy and shut the top vent back down to 2 turns. Came back 30 minutes later, stlll smoking like crazy, temps had moved up a bit more, so I opened the lid to check on things, and the cheese had softened and was slumping on the grates. Pulled everything off and let them cool down. Nice smoky flavor, but ugly as sin to look at. Most of the cheese chunks look like a Salvador Dali still life painting!! Hence, no pics! Vacuum sealed up the cheese and still going to give it out. Clearly has that "homemade" look - LOL!! Patience has never been one of my virtues and it clearly was a factor here. Will definitely try this again, but it's going to be a while!

Wow, Tony! You must REALLY like smoked cheese. Whenever I smoke cheese, I just take an AmazingTube Smoker, fill it with pellets, put it in the bottom of the KK, open the vents wide, and let it smoke for a couple of hours. Voila! Smoked cheese. Of course, down here in Oklahoma I can only smoke cheese during the winter months or I have a helluva mess to clean up! (Don't ask! It was really ugly.)

Nice smoky flavor, but ugly as sin to look at. Most of the cheese chunks look like a Salvador Dali still life painting!! Hence, no pics!

No, No, No, No - note that was 4 no's.

If you're going to post failures we want to see them. Besides maybe some of us likes Salvador Dali ;-)

• Like 1