wilburpan

Peking duck on the KK rotisserie

Thanks, all.

Dancing Ducks - flashbacks to the old Peter Gabriel video of the 2 dancing chickens!!

It was a fun cook. While it takes some time, it's not a lot of work each day, just a few minutes. Just chillin' in the fridge most of the time! Next time, I'll ramp up the KK sooner to get the skin a bit more crispy. I waited until the thigh IT was 150F before raising the KK temp up to 375F. Might shoot for 400F next time, too.

PRip, nothing better than roasted cauliflower and Brussels sprouts bathed in dripping duck fat!! The pan was under the duck most of the cook. Finished with a drizzle of nice 3 year old balsamic vinegar. 

After 45 minutes, ramped up to 375F for another 15 minutes. Done on the KK.

[snip]

Flavor was excellent, meat was nice and moist with a hint of the Chinese 5 spice powder, the skin was good, but not "perfect." Needed a bit more time on the KK and/or a bit higher temp at the end. But, overall, the best duck I've done yet!!

Great job on that duck, Tony!

Don’t be afraid to go higher on the temp at the end to get the skin where you want it. I went to 400ºF at the end, but this was a direct rotisserie cook, and I’m not sure whether you were cooking direct or indirect at the end of your cook. If it was indirect, you may want/need to go up higher than 400ºF.

When we were in Beijing, at the restaurant that served the best Peking Duck I think I will ever have, I got a brief look into their kitchen. They finished off the duck by hanging the whole duck in front of a wood fire in a brick oven, fairly close, and rotated it around to crisp up the skin. I’m sure that the temperature in that oven was pretty high for that step.

Thanks, Wilbur. High praise from the Master himself! :notworthy: Feel like I just snatched the pebble from your hand - LOL! 

Yes, it was an indirect cook. Drip pan on the lower grate and the duck was on the main. Last time, I had the ducks on the upper grate and the legs burned. So, this time I dropped down a level. 

btw - did you see my post about the air pump? Worked great! You have to get one.