PRippley

Christmas prime rib advice?!

I'd like to interject yet another method. I have done both reverse sear and this method and my family prefers this method. I simply use a salt, pepper, and garlic powder rub. I keep it really simple and put it on the KK at 250 indirect. Bones cut off and tied back on and with the bones side down. I leave it alone until it's right at 120 degrees internal. Remove from the KK and wrap it in two layers of HDAF. I let it sit for an hour and carve. This way works exceptionally well if you like it medium rare throughout. It's medium rare from end to end, nothing gets even close to medium. However you go, you cannot go wrong with prime rib! Merry Christmas to all,

Bob

I am doing some  R & D on a 4lb. Standing Rib Roast tonight.  I have seen a few videos and the one that I plan on using is the one Thermapen did.  On the video it says to cook/smoke the Roast at 200, I plan on 220, until it gets to 110.  Then to put in a Pre-heated 500* oven until it gets to 117*.  Then take it out, cover it with aluminum foil and let it sit for 20-30 minutes.  The temp is suppose to be 131 by the time it is to be carved.  Will the carryover cook be high by the time I slice ?  

Wouldn't 131 be a bit rare ?  Personally I like it rare but my wife doesn't.  Any issues if I were to pull at 120-122 ?  I want the pink throughout the whole Roast.  

Thank you.  

Happy Holidays to everyone !

EGGARY, I'd go for the 120F IT before taking it off the grill. I'm with your wife on this one. :)

I'm good on pulling it at 120* but forget the oven. Tent it and crank the KK up to roaring coals with the lower grate in position. Give it a minute or 2 sear on each side then serve. The hotter the coals the shorter the Sear time and the less final carry over.

I'm actually considering an initial sear on Prometheus followed by a Low-n-slow on Cassiopeia. Doing the Sear first with cold meat should give me even less cooking while searing compared to a reverse sear where your meat is at temp for the Sear.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

I'm good on pulling it at 120* but forget the oven. Tent it and crank the KK up to roaring coals with the lower grate in position. Give it a minute or 2 sear on each side then serve. The hotter the coals the shorter the Sear time and the less final carry over.

I'm actually considering an initial sear on Prometheus followed by a Low-n-slow on Cassiopeia. Doing the Sear first with cold meat should give me even less cooking while searing compared to a reverse sear where your meat is at temp for the Sear.

If your sear time is a minute or two, which was my searing time, I’d do the reverse sear. You’ll have better control over the outcome, and if the difference between the sear with cold meat and a sear with meat at 120ºF makes a meaningful impact on your prime rib, then you are really cooking a tenderloin instead (if you get my drift ^_^ ).

I’m not sure that reverse sears are great for all cooks. I’m not a big fan of reverse seared steaks, for example, because even at 1-1/2†thick, a steak is thin enough that you don’t have to worry about achieving a good result with direct grilling over an appropriately high flame. But for bigger pieces of meat, I think reverse sears are great. This also includes cooking a whole bird: roasting a whole bird at a lower temperature and finishing at a high temperature to crisp up the skin routinely gives me better results than high temps at the beginning, and then dropping down to a lower temperature. In my hands, this was true for oven cooking, and is true with Smaug.

Besides, if overcooking the outside part of a prime rib is the issue, I don’t see how I’m going to do much better than this. This was the result of a reverse sear.

16133839992_b3689e488e_c.jpg

I basically agree with what you say .......

I'm not a fan of reverse sear either except in beef or pork 2"+. I've always had good results using a reverse sear on larger cuts. Most all steak cooks I do are just roaring coal cooks or even caveman from time to time.

But since there is almost no residual cooking when doing a Low-n-slow cook (with the exception of foiling in a cooler) then you have exact control over a forward sear. When you pull it at 135* after the Low-n-slow phase that is going to be what you serve it at.

My only concern is really the herb crust. You get it nice and crunchy during the initial sear phase, does it go soft and smushy in the final Low-n-slow phase? Going to give it a try. Should be a good experiment. No guests coming for Christmas dinner and my family is fully used to experimental cooks (almost everything I do is an experiment).

The R & D was a SUCCESS ! I cooked it first on the Pellet Grill at 220. Raised the the cooking temp to 240. At the 90* internal temp the electricity went out on the Pellet Grill as the GFI was popping out. Next best thing, cooked the roast in the oven. Once the internal temp hit 112 raised the cooking temp to 500. Let it cook unto it reached 120. Took it out and tented with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. I was able to make the mashed potatoes as well as Lawry's Creamed Corn.

After 20 minutes the internal temp went up to 131. Sliced the roast and it was perfect. Everyone enjoyed and my wife had seconds. I guess that is her way to say it was good.

The video from Thermapen is the way to go to cook Prime Rib.

Sorry no pictures. The natives were restless. We were eating dinner at 8pm. Hopefully next time.

8 pm is our everyday dinner time.after we get off work, get food defrosted,crank the grill and cooking time, we finally eat then its off to bed. It sounds that we would starved by then but we are use to it.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk