PRippley

Christmas prime rib advice?!

Hey all, I bought a giant beauty of a prime rib for Christmas dinner. I bought it on Wednesday the 16th. It is wrapped in butcher paper and that is covered with a plastic bag and in the fridge, have not opened it since the butcher wrapped it up for me. What should I do to it, and when, before I let Saphira at it on Christmas Day? Normally I would have bought it later, or if earlier would have frozen it. My go to rub has been butter or oil, lemon pepper, salt and pepper. I would like to do something different this year and who better to ask...?😊

I think it's fine wrapped. Personally, I'd keep it simple. The night before you cook, give it a good coating of Lea and Perrins, and then 50/50 salt and pepper, some garlic powder, and maybe some coffee. Then day of, do a simple reverse sear. For mid rare, take it to 130°+, then sear the heck out of it.

Rob

• Like 1

For my Christmas Prime rib I remove the bones and add rosemary, thyme, garlic and rub and tie the bones back on. On the outside rub with oil add chopped rosemary, thyme, garlic and rub and you have a meal fit for a king and queen.

I cook mine at 325f-350f indirect till whatever internal temp you like. I will be using the rotisserie this year.

Thank you all for the advice! Video is great. I have not sous vide ever, and while I am intrigued, I don't think this is the cook for me to start! Thanks again, this is very helpful, and definitely calms my nerves. Thanks also Wilbur for generally instilling the confidence in a "new" BBQ cook that with Saphira on my side, I am golden!

You’re welcome, although I’m not sure what I did to deserve the compliment. ^_^

Just in case you haven’t seen this, this is the prime rib roast I made last year. http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/5080-post-christmas-prime-rib-roast/

It is really simple. Essentially, you’re doing a big reverse sear. Most of the low temp part was around 200ºF, bumping up to 250ºF at the end.

I think the biggest factor in the success of this cook besides using a KK grill was salting the meat ahead of time, and applying the rub afterwards. 

I mention in that writeup that I’m not sure if I would use the rosemary and thyme again because the herbs got burned off during the sear, but I think I actually would use the rosemary and thyme again anyway. And I would definitely not forget to make a sauce from the drippings the next time.

The one thing to take into consideration when doing a Prime Rib/Standing Rib Roast is the carryover when taking it off.  It is still cooking, so the amount of time to let it rest can vary.  I was thinking about the video and was about to post that once the roast reaches a certain temp and then open the vents to get to 500 to get it to 118-122 but that isn't too good of an idea as the roast still is cooking.  So putting it in the oven or another KK at is set at 500 will continue the process.  I think a little R & D is required !