GoFrogs91

The good bad and the ugly

So in the spirit of posting successful and not so successful cooks, I did a bone-in pork roast the other day.

Herb crust slurry with thyme, rosemary, and sage. I coated with a liberal dose of kosher salt for 24 hours.

ac4787e4eb4d44a4ac12d8e50ae63312.jpg

I roasted at 250 with apple wood for about two hours and got a pretty caramel colored outside working.

def70ed6694fcbaee7e83d9f4238f865.jpg

I had the 19" at around 550F to sear the outside. And ended up with this.

6b38b31898023eb795d43864a6ffbe81.jpg

I'm not sure if the herb crust burnt or sloughed off and the bones look like garbage. I get why you foil them now.

The good news was that it was juicy and delicious. While the flavor was good, I didn't taste the herbs at all.

Not my finest hour, but still willing to share my learnings.

Takeaways:

-Dry brining 24 hrs helped flavor and juiciness

-250F reverse sear resulted in very even temp and juicy meat

-Herb crust brought nothing to the party after high heat sear

-Foil the bones for gosh sake or they look like a CSI crime scene

Benton

You basically had it right. Definitely have to foil the bones so they don't burn. Not sure about your sear setup but I would have pulled the upper grate then installed the lower. Crank it up to raging coals and only give it 30 seconds to one minute per side. Just enough to sear but not enough to burn.

I've Burnt more than a few herb crusts but when you get it right it's to die for. Mrs skreef hit perfection with her pork roast cook for last month's Guru challenge. I can only hope to do near that good with my rib roast on Christmas.

BTW, I still would have torn it up 😎

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Edited by ckreef