Gnomatic

Monster Brisket

A friend of mine asked if I would cook a brisket for their family Christmas dinner.  I was happy to oblige.(my family gathering isn't happening for a couple days so my KK was free)

I stopped in at Costco earlier this week to snag a couple whole packer briskets, and the only ones they had were giants, all right around 20lbs.  Couldn't beat the price, $2.69/lb for USDA Prime brisket!  Yesterday evening, after trimming off copious amounts of fat, I seasoned and injected it.  It went on the KK at about 7:30pm.  This monster took up most of the main grate!

1224151924a_1.jpg

The KK was good and heat soaked at that point, holding at 300F.  That was a bit hotter than I wanted, but close enough.  Once the brisket was on, I closed up the KK and set the vents to what I figured would be ~225F.  At about 8:30 this morning the dome was reading 210F, so I was happy with that.  This beast of a brisket was reading 170F when I checked it at the time, so I goosed the vents a little and finished at 300F.  The meat hit 203F right around noon, which is right the time I was aiming for.  It looked like this:

1225151204.jpg

It had shrunk considerably as one would expect, but still took up a good portion of the grate on my 23", and look at that bark!

After pulling it off I set the brisket on a roasting rack in a pan and sealed it in foil, and then wrapped everything in a couple of blankets.(I usually use a cooler for this but mine are out on loan)  My friend is stopping by to pick up the brisket ~2:30pm, their dinner is at 3:00.  I might just invite myself over.  :tongue8:

Awesome! Look at that bark!

I scored one of those prime briskets at Costco this week, too! Mine was a 15#er. Couldn't beat that price with a stick!!! Separated the point and flat, and cut the flat in half. Vacuum sealed and in the freezer. This was my second prime brisket from Costco. First one was excellent! SCORE!!!