ckreef

Pork Loin Pinwheels

Getting creative with a small pork loin. Turned it into Pinwheels filled with carrots, sweet peppers, mushrooms, and spinach. CI seared and finished off with a provolone cheese crust.

Started with a small piece of pork loin.

Trimmed it up then put it flat on a cutting board. Come in from a long side about 1/3 the thickness off the board. Cut almost all the way through to the opposite long side.

Turn the loin around and come in from the other long side about 2/3 the thickness off the board. Once again cut almost all the way through to the other long side.

Spread it open flat on the board. Cover with plastic wrap and pound it flat. Try and get a uniform thickness.

(note: In the past I've tried various methods to make these cuts. Flat on a cutting board gives you the best control and consistent results. Never cut with the Loin standing up on a long edge, you'll end up with screwed up cuts every time.)

d39c168d9dd05660b06e237967dd139b.jpg

Stick it in a baggie with some marinade and in the fridge for a hour or two.

5bbf30833799d8af574a683ceb3cd342.jpg

Sautéed some carrots, sweet peppers, and mushrooms. Slightly wilted down some fresh spinach.

a21720905f58224536abb5f70ee69e02.jpg

Time to roll it up. Add the vegetables in layers. Keep a little open space on both ends.

00193c3b6085b96f69eb7b7f18b82df7.jpg

Roll it tight then tie it off. Trim the ends with a straight cut.

a7b95cfa1ed75b455f9147a4172fd522.jpg

Cut between the strings. Wow these are monster thick Pinwheels. I should have tied and cut into 4 Pinwheels. Coated with a herb oil mixture.

276a65abd5bfa3ef8073c7ffed49d14a.jpg

CI seared for a couple of minutes on each side.

5d9922c36dfda9cf53990f598260c2e5.jpg

They were so thick that once the Sear was over I swapped them to a cold pan and let them continue cooking for a few more minutes.

61f11b4f3516102251e43977ca8b28a2.jpg

I put a provolone cheese crust on two of them and served.

f42a7b4623209a1b1898c64cce1e3e72.jpg

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Suppertime!!

Nice technique on the butterfly, Charles!

It really is the only way I can get consistent butterfly cuts on pork loins or flank steaks. I've thrown pieces of meat into the circular file in the past after trying to do it with the meat standing up on the long edge. I've learned my lesson the hard way.

• Like 2

Pretty awesome cook. When you do that sear on the CI, do you put any oil or butter down? If so, what did you use there as the crust you got looks amazing.

When I CI sear meat I usually put some Olive oil on the meat itself (olive oil has a relatively low smoke point so it gives a nice sear). When the KK and CI is ready I'll do a quick wipe down of the CI with either peanut oil or canola oil (very thin wipe down just to properly maintain the seasoning). Between the two I always get a good sear. 400* if it needs to cook a little longer, 500* for a faster sear (thinner cuts).

Although that is a double sided griddle, I only use the flat side and I have been very careful to keep a good seasoning on it. I love my griddle. It fits perfectly in Prometheus and nothing ever sticks to it.