Geo

Dual-Fuel KK

My neighbor saw me replacing the hinge on my kamado. (Obviously NOT a KK... I doubt that a SS hinge would ever need replacing!). We got to talking about cooking, and he told me that he never uses his BGE anymore... That it is "so much quicker and easier to just use the gas grill".

That got me wondering if any of you ever considered getting a "Dual-Fuel KK" (http://komodokamado.com/pages/dual-fuel-komodo-kamado)

It seems like using gas would make for much-easier lighting, have no ash to clean out, no fuel to add, and probably other advantages. The Dual-Fuel KK also allows a quick change back to using lump... Something that I haven't seen in other cookers!

So what are your thoughts/experiences with the Dual-Fuel KK? I'd sure appreciate your thoughts.

Also... The word "Gas" isn't allowed as a Search term. It sure would be nice to be able to search for posts about the Dual-Fuel KK.

I'm the owner of the first dual fuel KK. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have regarding the grill.

I can sympathize with your neighbor somewhat. I've only been cooking BBQ for 8 months, but have been grilling all my life. In my opinion grilling is easier and quicker with gas. That being said, with the right setup, and proper planning, charcoal can be nearly as easy. Many will claim the food is far better and justifies the extra work. To each their own.

BBQ on the other hand is not something I would attempt on a gas grill. Never, end of story. Your neighbor, by casting his BGE aside, is clearly not a BBQ enthusiast. No problem with that, it's not for everyone.

My point is that BBQ and grilling are very different techniques, typically done on different cookers. The dual fuel KK is revolutionary in that it produces world class BBQ over charcoal, along with traditional grilled dishes, either over charcoal or gas, your choice. It's simple to use, versatile, and a no compromise design.

I would classify myself as a griller 95% of the time.  I started with a beautiful Napoleon Gas BBQ, working my way to a WSM and a Weber Kettle.  As soon as I began cooking on the kettle, I stopped using the gasser.  It sat for 2 years before my wife finally told me to sell the gasser.  

I personally think that BBQ is a hobby, something that has taught me to unwind and enjoy, and the food always tastes better on a charcoal cook.  

A gasser is really not needed in my house, however, I can see the desire for the deal fuel idea.  

I personally would invest on a larger KK before spending on the dual fuel... but again everyone is different.  If I really needed a gasser, I would probably buy a gas BBQ again.  But I really can't see that happening 

My neighbor saw me replacing the hinge on my kamado. (Obviously NOT a KK... I doubt that a SS hinge would ever need replacing!). We got to talking about cooking, and he told me that he never uses his BGE anymore... That it is "so much quicker and easier to just use the gas grill".

I certainly don't want to depress sales of the KK Dual Fuel grills, but one thing to consider is how much time you really are saving by cooking with gas. Assuming that what you are going for is a direct cook over a high temperature, for ideal cooking there’s a warm up time involved with using gas. You don’t have to heat soak the grill, but you do want the grates to be hot. With my old gas grill, I let it burn on high for 10 minutes or so when grilling direct for burgers, steaks, fish, chicken, etc.

Comparing that to direct cooking with a KK grill using charcoal, in my hands I find that I can consistently get my KK 23†from lighting the charcoal to 500-600ºF in about 15 minutes. (If you want to see how I do this, check out this post.) This isn’t faster than gas, but the actual amount of time saved winds up being a whopping five minutes, if you take into account the 10 minute warmup time I normally did with a gas grill. That’s not a huge amount of time saved. Heck, I’ll lose five minutes wandering around my kitchen trying to remember what ingredient it was that I’m looking for. ^_^

I’ve also learned to alter my work flow when cooking direct. What I do is set up and light my grill first, then do food prep. By the time the food prep is done, the grill is ready to go.

So if that amount of time is important to you, go for the Dual Fuel. I do keep a propane tank around since getting my KK 23â€, but that’s for lighting the charcoal. ^_^

Preheating with the gas option is incredibly simple. Prep your charcoal basket just like you would for a traditional low and slow. Drop in the burner support along with a single burner. Preheat for 10-15 minutes. Then remove the burner / support and light the charcoal. One burner is plenty, and you don't need to install the heat shields for a preheat. I'd be willing to make a video showing this if anyone is interested.

I live in CT, which traditionally has cold winters. No need to waste my precious CoCoChar bringing 550lbs of refractory material up to 275 from 20 degrees.

FYI, until I received my KK, I was in the 95% grilling camp. Since delivery in October I've been in the 99% BBQ camp. I'm sure I'll find a better balance as time goes on, but cooking once on a Saturday and having meals for my family of 4 for the next 3 days has been very nice. 

Thanks much to all of you for your replies. I especially appreciate the feedback from egmiii since he owns a dual-fuel KK. Here are my questions primarily directed to egmiii...

Do the gas burners produce enough heat to sear a stake similar to the way lump does?

Are the burners easy to ignite?

Is it quick & easy to switch from gas to lump, or do you just use whichever setup you have (For grilling) at the time?

Has the availability of gas changed what kinds of food you cook?

Does the availability of gas result in you using the KK more often?

Have you used the rotisserie with gas? What were the results?

If you were to make a purchase decision with the experience you have now, would you purchase the Dual-Fuel cooker, or use the money to purchase lots of optional accessories, or maybe a larger KK?

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your experience. If you prefer, you are welcome to reply via Private Message.

Geo

Geo and I just had a nice call so that I could answer his questions more completely. Unfortunately my kids are sick tonight so I don't have a ton of time to craft a thoughtful response. That being said, for the sake of other members who come across this thread, I will briefly answer the questions above.

Do the gas burners produce enough heat to sear a stake similar to the way lump does?

The gas burners are about 5" below the main grate with a heat shield half way in between. This keeps the burners clean and the heat very even. You will get sear marks like a traditional grill, but you won't get the 1000+ degree heat that a grate 1" above charcoal can produce.

Are the burners easy to ignite?

Currently there isn't a push button ignition system. I use a $2 foot long butane lighter. Works great.

Is it quick & easy to switch from gas to lump, or do you just use whichever setup you have (For grilling) at the time?

Provided you have the components next to the grill, switching from gas to lump takes under a minute. No tools involved. I use gas for grilling.

Has the availability of gas changed what kinds of food you cook?

Not really. I've had a Weber Q120 for 10 years, which has been an awesome grill. Running charcoal on a Komodo Kamado has totally changed the way I cook. I BBQ nearly every weekend and enjoy leftovers half the week. The food is so much better and the process is so simple.

Does the availability of gas result in you using the KK more often?

Continuing my thought above, having a charcoal BBQ has reduced my grilling (gas or charcoal) to almost zero. For quick sears on my sous vide meals, I've switched to a Searzall torch. It's hotter than charcoal, requires zero setup / preheat, and can evenly sear every square inch of an odd shaped cut to perfection in under 3 minutes. It's a no brainer for my workflow.

Have you used the rotisserie with gas? What were the results?

I own, but haven't used the rotisserie. I've done several whole chickens. They were so good that I'm too lazy to try anything else during the cold winter months.

If you were to make a purchase decision with the experience you have now, would you purchase the Dual-Fuel cooker, or use the money to purchase lots of optional accessories, or maybe a larger KK?

I don't often cook for a crowd, but I wouldn't hesitate to BBQ for 40-50 people on my 21" setup. If you plan to grill for a large crowd then I'd skip the 23" and go for the 32". If I could do it over, I'd do the exact same thing. Buy the 21" dual and every accessory offered. The dual fuel in no way compromises the performance or quality of the KK and gives you the option of using gas should you choose to do so in the future. If you already have a gas grill that you are happy with and you have the space for both, or if you are a die hard charcoal griller, then skip it.

Thanks, Ed, for taking time to talk on the phone, and for thoroughly answering my questions. You were very helpful.

In addition to answering my questions, I came away from the conversation with the feeling that with a KK, I can prepare meals much better than any I've produced in the past... Maybe even better than the rotisserie chicken I used to make on my old gasser! I'm also thinking that I may do more low-and-slow and less grilling when I get a KK. This leads me toward spending money on accessories instead of the dual-fuel option.

One last thing... One of the first posts that I read when I found this forum, was from a guy who said he bought a KK because of the helpful people on the forum. I can see what he meant! Thanks for all your help.

Dennis along with many helpful people on the forum, spent dozens of hours answering my questions over the course of several months. Not once did anyone say "just buy the damn thing already". They understood for most people, this is a once in a lifetime purchase and it's important to gather all the facts before making a decision. In your case, if it's a matter of deciding between a bunch of accessories and the dual fuel, I'd strongly suggest buying the accessories. The pizza stone and side tables would be first on my list, followed by the basket splitter and lower grate (for the 21").

egmiii,

Thank you for posting the reply to the questions (along with dealing with the sick kids).  When you have time, a couple more questions...........are you happy with the way the gas burner heat sinks the grill?   I believe you mentioned only using one burner.......could you describe the burner set up?  

Thanks in advance.  Being a low & slow smoker type, one of my biggest concerns is the time it will take to heat sink a 32" or 42" in the cold weather (planning on cooking tonight in 15*F/-9*C)  .

Jon   

egmiii,

Being a low & slow smoker type, one of my biggest concerns is the time it will take to heat sink a 32" or 42" in the cold weather (planning on cooking tonight in 15*F/-9*C)  .

From reading about Dual-Fuel KK's on the website, I think that Dual-Fuel is only available on the 21" & 23" KK's. It may be that the 32" cooker can be modified to accept the Dual-Fuel box, but there isn't any indication that it has been done previously.

From reading about Dual-Fuel KK's on the website, I think that Dual-Fuel is only available on the 21" & 23" KK's. It may be that the 32" cooker can be modified to accept the Dual-Fuel box, but there isn't any indication that it has been done previously.

Thanks Geo....................see what happens when one assumes!!!  I need to do more research.