ckreef

Sourdough Pan Pizza

My first Sourdough attempt. My normal pan pizza dough recipe with a Sourdough starter substitution. This was what the Reef's call a "Junk Pie". Mozzarella, parmesan, sausage, ham, green peppers, mushrooms, black olives, tomatoes, and finally pepperoni.

Tasted good but the texture could have been better. I made a few technical errors which hurt the texture.

1) used half of a starter substitution should have used a full substitution amount.

2) did the refrigerator rise in my mini fridge which is set at 33* so the dough was almost frozen for a few days. Should have done it in the main refrigerator.

3) shortened the pan rise time as it was getting late.

4) cooked at 400*, next time I'll go 450*

Next attempt will be better.

57329017c59404d8224b34e93de2e835.jpg

e85ded8eee42e40c03c36b17b7f8d8d8.jpg

8c515c93e031c41691316ebfa8b82f51.jpg

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Delicious Charles!  

Its funny, I was thinking of you the other day....I had a pizza cook that went south on me (my errors) and while the family liked it, I was truly disappointed. 

I made sourdough pizza for the first time, using my usual pizza dough recipe but substituting my sourdough starter.  Everything was looking great, 2 day rise in the fridge, it was smelling great and had a beautiful rise.  I then separated the dough, as I usually do, and left it for a final rise on the counter while I got my fire going.  Unfortunately, I left the dough partly covered and it formed a horrible dry crust which really affected how it formed and cooked.

The other error I made was getting my fire going.  I just poured some left over (not great quality) lump into the basket and it completely clogged the basket.  It took me forever to get to cooking temp.  Then for error number 3, now, because I was late (because the fire took so long to get hot) and because I was PO'd (the dough drying up because of a silly mistake), I didnt let the baking stone heat soak properly.....What a night!  

Here is the crazy thing...with all those errors, the family still devoured the pizza's!  They still tasted good, but those cumulative mistakes ruined it for me!

Oh well, you can't have a redemption cook unless you screw up right?  

Delicious Charles!

Its funny, I was thinking of you the other day....I had a pizza cook that went south on me (my errors) and while the family liked it, I was truly disappointed.

I made sourdough pizza for the first time, using my usual pizza dough recipe but substituting my sourdough starter. Everything was looking great, 2 day rise in the fridge, it was smelling great and had a beautiful rise. I then separated the dough, as I usually do, and left it for a final rise on the counter while I got my fire going. Unfortunately, I left the dough partly covered and it formed a horrible dry crust which really affected how it formed and cooked.

The other error I made was getting my fire going. I just poured some left over (not great quality) lump into the basket and it completely clogged the basket. It took me forever to get to cooking temp. Then for error number 3, now, because I was late (because the fire took so long to get hot) and because I was PO'd (the dough drying up because of a silly mistake), I didnt let the baking stone heat soak properly.....What a night!

Here is the crazy thing...with all those errors, the family still devoured the pizza's! They still tasted good, but those cumulative mistakes ruined it for me!

Oh well, you can't have a redemption cook unless you screw up right?

That's a good story Rak. That is the story of most of my cooks. Little errors that ruin it for me even though it tastes great and everybody liked it.

But that is how one gets better. Realizing what you did wrong so you can correct it the next time. Every mistake you listed I've made them myself. The really frustrating cooks is when you do everything right and it turns out bad so you have no way of knowing what to tweak next time.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Edited by ckreef

Dude, I'd be happy with that as-is...  I've been dieting leading up to my 40th birthday.  Have been thinking about what I'm going to pound first...  After your pics, pizza just moved to the top of the list.  Probably won't stay there as anything I see that isn't green and leafy moves straight to the top of the list.