Shuley

Italian beef sandwiches

So I saw some very tasty Italian roast beef subs on here a while ago and I mentally bookmarked it to do this summer. Well today was the day and it was even better than I imagined. Yes, really. And so simple,this will definitely be done again.c4249899d0adcccc956fc7c0af49fd1f.jpgwoke up this Morning,fired up the kk and set the vents to about 225. Then seasoned the meat. The run was a little salt (i went lighter than normal because the pepperoncini jar had a substantial amount of salt) fresh black pepper, ground mustard, paprika, garlic powder, and a little cayenne. Then set it naked on the grate and ran to church....well before I ran to church I realize EEEP! I forgot to add any wood! So I used the handy dandy flip up feature for the first time to add wood (i thought I would never use it because I can't imagine running out of charcoal) e01bfde7d061a6eefeb62c08b2154b78.jpg

Ok got my wood in then ran to church. I had to trust my settings at the start of the cook because I had no time to monitor the meat. Got home 2 hours later, and whew, I did a good job setting my vents, still right at 225.10a4312280168c40d2765e52a6133c57.jpg

Then I put it in an aluminum pan with a jar of pepperoncinis plus their juice. As well as a sliced onion, a couple smashed garlic cloves, Worcestershire, and liquid aminos.000812ebe3dade3e986db0ca421d780f.jpgI covered that with aluminum foil and put it back in for about 6 hours.

Meanwhile, towards the end of that cook, I fired up the old akorn. I hadn't done so since receiving my kk, but really I was looking forward to be able to cook on two different temperatures. So I got it around 550 and put on the corn.fe9ed31b5fb05e7c20b4dc5b2e38895f.jpg

After these had mostly cooked, I swapped it out for an eggplant that my friend had picked from her garden about 1 hour prior to me cooking it. Now I LOVE this grilled eggplant. I hadn't done it in a kamado yet, but I was doing it like crazy before.73c2679261aa2682f357fc4f7a790ae9.jpg

Cooked pretty fast.1801857af25a8120d420f915aec35df7.jpg

Then shucked the corn and let it get a little toasty....during this time I had pulled the meat.14a5d8048124ae103f01fd795392ea2a.jpgthen shredded it with bear claws. I sliced up some rolls and loaded the meat, peppers and onions in and topped with some provolone cheese. Popped those back into the ok to melt the cheese and crisp the rolls.b2a8c0e95d0450de18d8aac6b7f7994c.jpgI topped my with some horseradish sauce and a little au jus. This was my plate.370089fc3a97cc0ebf82eeed6e965177.jpg

Yes, I ate it ALL. Plus even more eggplant hahaha. I just let the kk keep going, because I'm about to throw a butt on for tomorrow. My friends are having a party and they asked me to bring it....kind of excited yet kind of nervous.

Anyway this sandwiches were superb, and not at all difficult. I HIGHLY recommend you try them. And thank you to who ever originally posted it. Man this was good.

• Like 1

Shelly - what a wonderful cook!  That is one  mouth-watering cook and every part of it says EAT ME!  

I really like how far you've come since we first met.  Now you say "I just set the vents ..." and "I had to trust my settings ..." and you came home to a rock solid 225!  You GO girl!  You've got this figured out.  

Kudos to you on a lot of different fronts.  Kudos!

Shuley, what a fantastic cook and you weren't even there for all of it.  Everything looks so tasty and I understand perfectly why you cleaned your plate.  I'm sure your friends will be thrilled with the butt too.  :smt023 :smt023

Thank you very much! Glad I can trust my grill while I'm gone!

Shelly - what a wonderful cook!  That is one  mouth-watering cook and every part of it says EAT ME!  

I really like how far you've come since we first met.  Now you say "I just set the vents ..." and "I had to trust my settings ..." and you came home to a rock solid 225!  You GO girl!  You've got this figured out.  

Kudos to you on a lot of different fronts.  Kudos!

Thank you! I just have to get a variety of temps under my belt, so I can know the vent settings for each temp. I'm liking how consistent the settings seem to be, regardless of outside factors.

• Like 1

Nicely done. 

One bit of advice about vent settings. While they are generally repeatable, be a tad cautious on a really windy day. A steady wind blowing across the top vent will draw more air through the KK than you are used to for that vent setting. 

Nicely done. 

One bit of advice about vent settings. While they are generally repeatable, be a tad cautious on a really windy day. A steady wind blowing across the top vent will draw more air through the KK than you are used to for that vent setting. 

Thanks for the advice. Glad it doesn't get very windy where I live very often.

• Like 1