Shuley

First requested non family cook.

Ok, so there were a lot of qualifiers in my First cook statement hahaha. Our good friends have a 4th if July shin dig every year and this year they wanted me to bring a pork shoulder. I was a little nervous about cooking for an event not at my house and it was also my first overnight cook on my new kk. The only thing was I lit too much charcoal from the beginning (new weed burner) and then I guess because it was an overnight cool, I did not have confidence in my vent settings. I logically knew that my fire would go out of I closed it anymore, but when I woke up at 2:30 AM and it was still sitting right at 300, I went and closed them more. Shouldn't have done that. At 515 my alarm went off because the grill was down below 200. I set the vents correctly again, and then everything was fine. I just need to quit listening to those nagging thoughts at night!!! Oh Well, I'll get it sooner or later. Probably the more over night cooks the better I will be about it.

Turned out well.7e6cceefa81e8b98fd9f31f222b19549.jpg

I didn't take any other pictures.

• Like 3

I did a shoulder and brisket last week for a party.  Small cater request from a relative.

i know BBQ

i know Kamado cooking 

I know the KK is rock solid at temp holding

i know how to cook the S&@t out a shoulder

i panicked all night even though my 32 was solid without wavering all night.  I got up every hour just in case. 

I feel your pain and next time I need to use my cyberQ for peace of mind 

Shelly, at this point in your cooking on a KK career, you should never be nervous.  You have this deal figured out!  Kudos!

Thank you. If I had just stuck with what I knew was right....I would probably have given myself enough confidence to think over night cooks are no big deal. Hopefully my next one....maybe if I start it earlier?

• Like 1

I did a shoulder and brisket last week for a party.  Small cater request from a relative.

i know BBQ

i know Kamado cooking 

I know the KK is rock solid at temp holding

i know how to cook the S&@t out a shoulder

i panicked all night even though my 32 was solid without wavering all night.  I got up every hour just in case. 

I feel your pain and next time I need to use my cyberQ for peace of mind 

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I'm hoping the more often I do it, the more confident I will get.