Shuley

First kk brisket...also first prime brisket.

Well I just got back from a Costco run… The  above posts inspired me. Not only did I pick up a 13 pound prime brisket but I also picked up a couple of pork shoulders. One shoulder will have to go in the freezer but the other one will see a low and slow cook very soon for some juicy pulled pork.    One of the cookbooks that I have is called Cooking with Smoke and Spice. There is a recipe in there "Vaunted Vinegar Sauce" - OMG!  It is apple cider based with Red-pepper flakes, black pepper, salt and just a couple of other seasonings.   It is so good on pulled pork I can't even begin to describe it.   When I do the shoulder I will absolutely find that recipe and share it.

The brisket will go on Saturday night followed by a rest in a cooler wrapped in towels for at least a couple of hours.  After that, let the mayhem begin! 

Edited by KevinD

10 minutes ago, KevinD said:

Well I just got back from a Costco run… The  above posts inspired me. Not only did I pick up a 13 pound prime brisket but I also picked up a couple of pork shoulders. One shoulder will have to go in the freezer but the other one will see a low and slow cook very soon for some juicy pulled pork.    One of the cookbooks that I have is called Cooking with Smoke and Spice. There is a recipe in there "Vaunted Vinegar Sauce" - OMG!  It is apple cider based with Red-pepper flakes, black pepper, salt and just a couple of other seasonings.   It is so good on pulled pork I can't even begin to describe it.   When I do the shoulder I will absolutely find that recipe and share it.

The brisket will go on Saturday night followed by a rest in a cooler wrapped in towels for at least a couple of hours.  After that, let the mayhem begin! 

I have that cookbook and it is one of the best bbq books for recipes. The vinegar sauce is awesome. I also like the creamy cole slaw which is a staple at my house for pulled pork.

14 minutes ago, KevinD said:

There is a recipe in there "Vaunted Vinegar Sauce" - OMG!  It is apple cider based with Red-pepper flakes, black pepper, salt and just a couple of other seasonings.   It is so good on pulled pork I can't even begin to describe it.   When I do the shoulder I will absolutely find that recipe and share it.

That would be your classic North Carolina style BBQ sauce. 

Here is a North Carolina style sauce. It  is very  thin so  it flows through the  pork nicely. The vinegar  cuts through the taste of the pork nicely.

1 cup white vinegar

1 cup apple cider vinegar

1T sugar

1T  cayenne

1T  tabasco

1T  kosher salt

1T  cracked black pepper

Whisk it all up and there you go.

On July 12, 2016 at 8:43 PM, Shuley said:

Yup, that is the price I got mine for. As soon as I heard how cheap it was, I tried to get to Costco as fast as I could without being too pushy lol.

Sniff* Sniff* Sobb* Sobb*

The closest Costco that carries Prime Whole Brisket is 250 miles away.  Won't someone please send me a Prime Brisket to love?  The local butcher charges about $15/per pound to special order it :-(

As I was poking around in my freezer today,  I ran across two point cut corned beef briskets. I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't thaw out one of these in the near future and throwing it on Pele to add some smoke...

Can anyone think of a reason why this would be a bad idea?  

Since I didn't cook them up for St. Patrick's Day, I think I will have to prepare one with some potatoes, carrots, onions & cabbage.  I think I will put the root vegetables in a drip pan  under the corned beef and see how they do.  I've always loved roasted vegetables but traditionally those will cook at a much higher temperature than the low and slow cook for brisket. Unless of course, I use the hat/fast method as opposed to low and slow…

As a back up I could prepare some inside the house following the traditional boiled dinner concept. Cabbage of course will be included… 

Thoughts, ideas, comments?  

Edited by KevinD

@KevinD - you could always convert that corned beef brisket to a nice pastrami. Just rinse off the corned beef seasoning, a quick soak in some water to pull out some of the brine, then rub down with lots of black pepper and ground coriander seeds. Then, a nice slow smoke.

• Like 1