Shuley

First kk brisket...also first prime brisket.

I am normally a proponent of changing one variable at a time when perfecting a recipe...and having a KK had been that variable for most of my recent cooks. That being said, the price of brisket at my local Wal-Mart has been steadily climbing...not to mention none of them have any lump charcoal at all all of the sudden. My sister in law agreed to meet me at Costco and I picked up my first prime brisket. I trimmed and seasoned it like I normally would. I let it sit during the day in the fridge. Then I started my fire, set my vents and went to sprouts for some abt ingredients. I put it on about 11. I'm sorry no actual cook pictures. Pulled it at about 3:30 pm because it was probing like butter. Let it rest for an hour and took a small potion of the point because I wanted to re attempt burnt ends.4d690269a705e4e83e417037fa40dac9.jpg

Cubed it up.838dece7ed9cad03eacacc829a7c6843.jpg

I tried to go sparingly in the bbq sauce (last time I had too much), then added rub.41d6bab526fcd3ac9d193ff263c88fb3.jpg

Mixed it all up and the onto the kk above the ABTs. (i can't believe I have only made ABTs 2 times. They are so Flippen good And gone in about 5 minutes)1067c059aa628972db48dfa690a15997.jpg

After about an hour (stirring every 20 min or so) this is what they looked like.229139e995f2ed4f70e13756f5ba4deb.jpg

We smacked on those and the ABTs while we waited for the last family to arrive. Then I sliced up the brisket.

I didn't take pictures. I know, I know, bad shuley. It had the same bark as the outside of the point. Noticing the distribution of the day in the point, it seemed much more even than my previous briskets. When slicing the flat, I was a little disappointed because it APPEARED the same as my previous cooks. Luckily I still had some because it was definitely more tender and more moist as well. The biggest difference was how much more tender than my previous flats have been. Obviously, it wasn't as tender as my point but it was pretty dang tender. Definitely my best brisket to date.

Also, I was so much better about the over night thing this time. Much more confident in my settings. I only went to bed 1 hour later than normal and I only woke up once to peek at my remote thermometer. Progress!

• Like 3

I've decided that an extended super long rest (even as long as the cook) in a cooler is mandatory for at least the flats.  Being a point man myself, I usually serve the point first with only a bit of sliced flat on the tray. So many times, while slicing I thought it "looked" and felt "less moist" than I would have wanted, no wet shine for a photo.  Only to discover it's sooo much more moist the next day and makes awesome sandwiches.

I have a water heater in the kitchen that we set dangerously hot to aid in dishwashing/removing oil.  I take a couple of 1500ml plastic bottles and very carefully fill them with hot water. set them in the bottom of the cooler.. then my brisket wrapped in foil and towels on top.  I then add a couple bottles on top every then and now..  

• Like 2

Looks delicious even if the burnt ends shredded up a little. Everytime you do a low-n-slow your confidence in the KK maintaining a stable temperature over the cook will grow. Once set and stable I don't worry about it anymore. I just go about my business and check back later.

Reef's Bistro

Great job! Love me some burnt ends!

OK, for the rest of ya'll out there, GET THEE HENCE TO COSTCO!!! PRIME grade full packer cuts of brisket for only, wait for it, $3.79/lb. YES, that's right PRIME for only $3.79/lb. Just wish that I had more room in my chest freezer right now (damn it, chicken has been crazy cheap lately ($0.59/lb) and I'm stocked up on leg quarters!)

001.JPG

Looks delicious even if the burnt ends shredded up a little. Everytime you do a low-n-slow your confidence in the KK maintaining a stable temperature over the cook will grow. Once set and stable I don't worry about it anymore. I just go about my business and check back later.

Reef's Bistro

Thanks! I'm finding that I get more confidence over time. Hopefully I can attain guru status in a few years haha.

Never done a brisket have been meaning to try one looks good to me

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

Brisket is great for entertaining! And I love using the leftovers to make comepletely different dishes that taste like I spent all day on them due to the brisket.

• Like 1

OK, for the rest of ya'll out there, GET THEE HENCE TO COSTCO!!! PRIME grade full packer cuts of brisket for only, wait for it, $3.79/lb. YES, that's right PRIME for only $3.79/lb. Just wish that I had more room in my chest freezer right now (damn it, chicken has been crazy cheap lately ($0.59/lb) and I'm stocked up on leg quarters!)

001.JPG

Yup, that is the price I got mine for. As soon as I heard how cheap it was, I tried to get to Costco as fast as I could without being too pushy lol.

001.JPG

Yup, that is the price I got mine for. As soon as I heard how cheap it was, I tried to get to Costco as fast as I could without being too pushy lol.