Steve M

First cook on the new kk

2 hours ago, 5698k said:

You'll likely have to close the top quite a bit to maintain temp. The initial settings are just to get you there fairly quickly.

Rob

Would you leave the bottom open at 2/3? Just filled the basket with coffee char and getting ready to fire her up.

Loaded with the coffee char, it took about 10 minutes to get to 375. I started to try and slow it down using the top vent at around 340. I thought it was going to hold but it has creeped up to 390. At half a turn open, it has stopped and reversed course. I'm going to leave it and see where it settles unless it goes below 350

Just took the chickens off and the aroma filling the kitchen is incredible.

Turned the upper vent a quarter turn to take it to 450 to do at least some of the break in. No problems reaching temps with the coffee charcoal. The lumps are enormous compared to the RO.

• Like 1

Good to see that you jumped right in and did some Ribs.  As to lighting, I just light it in one spot and that is the middle and for 60 seconds, I count up to sixty, and that is it.  Enjoy your future cooks and it does make BBQ/Grilling/Cooking more enjoyable.

2 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

I'm waiting to see those yardbirds on a plate.  

P1000091.JPG

the one on the left was salt and pepper only per TSO's request. the one on the right was slap yo daddy's APR.

P1000092.JPG

Cut up and ready for serving

P1000093.JPG

Enjoyed the juicy cook. The aroma and taste were both incredible.

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 1

After the cook, I gradually took the kk up to 525 for the curing process. I let it go for about an hour before I noticed anything going on with the tiles. the first thing I noticed was a bit of white residue and I pushed on the area around it and noticed it was a little puffy. the tiles would spring back out so I relieved some of the areas with the pin holes using a t-pin as was recommended by someone here. After a couple of hours, I noticed a few more areas starting to bulge. The worst I saw was one tile with a corner sticking out so I pushed it back in. It seemed like I had a lot of different areas involved for a while. It has been going for about 4 hours at 525-550 and seems to be settling down a bit. I took a video with my phone in case some of the new guys want to see what it looks like. Excuse the shakiness as I was holding the phone with one hand and pushing around the tiles with the other. this was one of the smaller areas. It is a little difficult to see them moving but at around 28 seconds in, you can definitely see a couple of the bad ones.

IMG_2749.MOV

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nuprin said:

The chicken looks so juicy - fantastic.  Glad the better charcoal and airflow solved your temp ramp up problem. 

It is reassuring for sure. I was surprised how little the top vent needed to be open and how quickly you can change the temp 40 degrees upwards with a small change of the vent. 

Looks like a success even with the temp variations. I don't think I missed it above but is your top closed all the way? It is a double click latch...should be on the 2nd notch for cooking. On my 23" I can go 36 - 42 hours at low temps on a single bag of lump.

5 hours ago, twharton said:

Looks like a success even with the temp variations. I don't think I missed it above but is your top closed all the way? It is a double click latch...should be on the 2nd notch for cooking. On my 23" I can go 36 - 42 hours at low temps on a single bag of lump.

It is the way I understand it. When I push down on the lid, it catches and then I push the latch down to lock it. It feels like it snaps into place and it doesn't look like it could go any further.

• Like 1