Fetzervalve

Brining

Hey, great info! I had forgot all about the cookshack site and forums. I used to be a member over there when I had my Treager pellet grill. But you are right, they have lots of stuff there!

Since T-day is upcoming, it might be a good time to mention another point for those thinking about brining. For it to work, you are gonna have to shell out the bucks for the non-injected turkeys (I have only seen them fresh around here). Since brining works as a result of osmosis, heavy SP/G solution pushing it's way into a lower gravity solution, it will not work if the bird has already been injected with a brine (you might get a little, but nothing like it should be). Anyway, just a tip for those who might not know!

Oh yeah, Fetzervalve, I am moving this thread into techniques since it is not a recipe. I am trying to clean up the recipe section to make it easier to find recipes.

Thanks,

-=Jasen=-

Actually there are large bags used for trash purposes that are approved for food contact. I am familiar with Heritage Bag, and I would think there are other companies who also comply. There are FDA letters in this link from them for this, but I am newly registered here and cannot yet post links. High Density can liners are those that are "crinkly" sounding and the thicknesses are expressed in Mic. The approved ones there are natural, which is an opaque clear material The other liner letter there is referring to stretch type plastic bags in their clear and white, and their meat and poultry bags. Dark brown and black can liners usually have a great deal of recycle content to them. If you don't need a large bag, the suggestion on large zip-lock type is a good idea.

Regards,

Will

Link added - http://www.heritage-bag.com/products/products.asp

ever see those food-grade 10-gal buckets that restaurants get, like, pickles, or pepperoncinis in? those are dandy for brining, and are reusable. i've also used a cooler, as has been suggested here. i like the buckets a bit better tho. you can generally fit them into a fridge if you move stuff around, and they are easier to clean after. plus, if you have a favorite restaurant (like they know your name, take you to the same table, etc) you could probably get one for free if you ask real nice.

brining is defo one of those "magic tricks" that both enhance the food and make it easier to produce juicy results. course, anymore, you gotta watch out for the pork roasts and chickens you get at the wally world and other big stores; they "pre-brine"/"enhance" their meats already. you try to brine one of those, you'll get some salty grub...

First time brining

Well, I did it. Overnight, chicken, salt, water, sugar, ground black pepper, bay leaf. OH MY!!! Pat dry, rubbed with Dizzy's Tsunami Spin. Roasted on a chicken rocket for just over an hour (breast to 160) at 350. Woo hooo!! Moist and delicious. Ok, since there was sleet and freezing rain going on, I did it in the oven (so sue me), but STILL it was terrific. Imagine how delicious it'll be on the cooker!

Mother said it was the best Valentine's supper she ever had. Oh Mom. :)

lol

Yep...brining is good :D

In reply to porkchops post regarding enhanced/injected/pre-brined meats, i suggest checking your local BJs wholesale. Most supermarket chickens and roasts, unless you pay a premium for the fresh/organic/whatever have been molested like this. I have found that BJs meats are not enhanced, and the lower price is a bonus. My local BJs in Orlando sells Perdue chickens, "fresh and minimally processed" for $.79/lb. That way, you can brine your own flavors into it.

BTW, not all big-box clubs are the same, so pay attention to the fine print. My local Sams club carries only "enhanced" chickens, not the fresh ones.

Yep...brining is good :D

In reply to porkchops post regarding enhanced/injected/pre-brined meats, i suggest checking your local BJs wholesale. Most supermarket chickens and roasts, unless you pay a premium for the fresh/organic/whatever have been molested like this. I have found that BJs meats are not enhanced, and the lower price is a bonus. My local BJs in Orlando sells Perdue chickens, "fresh and minimally processed" for $.79/lb. That way, you can brine your own flavors into it.

BTW, not all big-box clubs are the same, so pay attention to the fine print. My local Sams club carries only "enhanced" chickens, not the fresh ones.

For those who have a Publix, they also offer non molested poultry - though I cannot remember if it was their brand or another.

-=Jasen=-