MacKenzie

Tomato Soup, a Non KK Cook

This is the first time to try this recipe but it won't be the last.

*** Are my changes.

Carla's Tomato Soup

Make any modifications that suit you and the preferences of your eaters: Onions in place of shallots; carrots for fennel; add garlic; omit the cayenne; a splash of cream instead of butter, as you wish.

Ingredients

SERVINGS: 6·

6 tablespoons olive oil, divided

·         6 medium shallots, thinly sliced  ( I used 1 leek and about 1 1/2 cup of sliced onion, and 1 garlic clove)

·         1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced

·         Kosher salt

·         1 teaspoon fennel seeds

·         2 teaspoons smoked paprika

·         ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

·         2 28-ounce cans whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes

·         Freshly ground black pepper

·         3 tablespoons unsalted butter

·         6 slices thick country-style bread

·         Flaky sea salt

Recipe Tips

Preparation

·         Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a Dutch oven or other large heavy pot over medium-low. Add shallots and sliced fennel and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very soft and just beginning to take on color, 20 minutes. Add fennel seeds, paprika, and cayenne, if using, and cook, stirring often, until incorporated and very fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushing them with your hands as you go, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are beginning to fall apart, 25–35 minutes.

·         Transfer tomato mixture to a blender, add butter and 1 ½ cups of water***, and purée, adding more water if too thick, until smooth (or use an immersion blender directly in the pot). Taste and season with salt and pepper; return to pot. Keep warm, stirring occasionally, over low heat.

·         Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a medium skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium-low. Fry 2 slices of bread until deep golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels. Add 1 Tbsp. oil to skillet and repeat with another 2 slices of bread. Repeat with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil and remaining bread. Season with sea salt. Halve toast and serve with soup.

·         *** I didn’t add the water instead at time of serving I will add a skimpy 1/2C of water, milk or cream /bowl at the time of serving.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/carlas-tomato-soup?mbid=nl_fig_006_10052016_Daily&CNDID=2846682

Tomato Soup.jpg

A little taste along with some homemade crackers. 

Tomato Soup Tasting.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 2

Just finished the soup and as you alluded to MacKenzie this recipe is a keeper for us!    I used Thomas Keller's sautéed in garlic oil torn bread croutons ... wonderful soup!   Really got burned out on the more typical basil-tomato soup so the fennel is a nice surprise and complement to the tomatoes.  Thanks for your post!    

Might try smoke kissing some good ripe Roma tomatoes with fruit wood on the KK next time ...

FullSizeRender 54.jpg

Edited by dstr8
  • Like 1

This is the first time to try this recipe but it won't be the last.

*** Are my changes.

Carla's Tomato Soup

Make any modifications that suit you and the preferences of your eaters: Onions in place of shallots; carrots for fennel; add garlic; omit the cayenne; a splash of cream instead of butter, as you wish.

Ingredients

SERVINGS: 6·

6 tablespoons olive oil, divided

·         6 medium shallots, thinly sliced  ( I used 1 leek and about 1 1/2 cup of sliced onion, and 1 garlic clove)

·         1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced

·         Kosher salt

·         1 teaspoon fennel seeds

·         2 teaspoons smoked paprika

·         ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)

·         2 28-ounce cans whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes

·         Freshly ground black pepper

·         3 tablespoons unsalted butter

·         6 slices thick country-style bread

·         Flaky sea salt

Recipe Tips

Preparation

·         Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a Dutch oven or other large heavy pot over medium-low. Add shallots and sliced fennel and season with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very soft and just beginning to take on color, 20 minutes. Add fennel seeds, paprika, and cayenne, if using, and cook, stirring often, until incorporated and very fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushing them with your hands as you go, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are beginning to fall apart, 25–35 minutes. 

·         Transfer tomato mixture to a blender, add butter and 1 ½ cups of water***, and purée, adding more water if too thick, until smooth (or use an immersion blender directly in the pot). Taste and season with salt and pepper; return to pot. Keep warm, stirring occasionally, over low heat.

·         Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a medium skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium-low. Fry 2 slices of bread until deep golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to paper towels. Add 1 Tbsp. oil to skillet and repeat with another 2 slices of bread. Repeat with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil and remaining bread. Season with sea salt. Halve toast and serve with soup.

·         *** I didn’t add the water instead at time of serving I will add a skimpy 1/2C of water, milk or cream /bowl at the time of serving.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/carlas-tomato-soup?mbid=nl_fig_006_10052016_Daily&CNDID=2846682

Tomato Soup.jpg

A little taste along with some homemade crackers. 

Tomato Soup Tasting.jpg

Great recipe Mac thanks for sharing that's a nice looking tomato soup. dee just made up a pumpkin one. Will definitely be trying this

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Just finished the soup and as you alluded to MacKenzie this recipe is a keeper for us!    I used Thomas Keller's sautéed in garlic oil torn bread croutons ... wonderful soup!   Really got burned out on the more typical basil-tomato soup so the fennel is a nice surprise and complement to the tomatoes.  Thanks for your post!    

Might try smoke kissing some good ripe Roma tomatoes with fruit wood on the KK next time ...

FullSizeRender 54.jpg

Great effort looks stunning

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1