ckreef

Mrs skreef's Accident

Just saw and read this thread. You'd fit right in with Quinn and Hooper and Chief Brody in that scar scene from Jaws! I had a hand injury like that once and it was big fun. Ouch. Excellent looking repair. I'm guessing you'll get 90% or better return of motor and sensory function. Ask for a quick blast of Propofol when they pull the pin...

• Like 2

On 12/6/2016 at 9:33 AM, FotonDrv said:

Susan, it is good to hear that you are now only on ibuprofen, that is a good step forward with your recovery!  Saying prayers that the pin removal will go smoothly.  Last year I had a screw taken out of the bone in my right foot (bunion surgery) because it hurt more with the screw being left in than just removing it.  So you might feel a whole lot better when that blasted pin is removed.  Save the pin and make something out of it :-) When I requested the screws from my foot I had to sign a release, even though it was mine and I paid to have it put in and I was paying to have it removed.  Pretty odd if you ask me.

My mother had 21 major abdominal surgeries in her lifetime and when they did the last one there was not enough skin left on her belly for the sutures to hold without tearing through scar tissue so the surgeon used strain reliefs for the sutures to distribute the load on the skin; they were about 3/4" diameter buttons so it looked like she was laced up.  She had a sense of humor about it and saved the buttons so after the surgery/removal of sutures and for the follow up she made a new dress and used the buttons on it.  The doctor just busted out laughing when he saw what she had done with the hardware.  So, shock your doc with creativity :-)

Wow!!  Hope your mom is doing great now.. She has def been thru alot.. And the button story was Awesome... 

On 12/7/2016 at 0:09 AM, mguerra said:

Just saw and read this thread. You'd fit right in with Quinn and Hooper and Chief Brody in that scar scene from Jaws! I had a hand injury like that once and it was big fun. Ouch. Excellent looking repair. I'm guessing you'll get 90% or better return of motor and sensory function. Ask for a quick blast of Propofol when they pull the pin...

I'm really hoping so.. Got lots of therapy to go thru after the pin comes out on the 19th.

11 hours ago, skreef said:

Wow!!  Hope your mom is doing great now.. She has def been thru alot.. And the button story was Awesome... 

Mom passed away many years ago (I am 70 yrs old).  She made it to 68 before pancreatic cancer got her, which was not the source of those surgeries, that was Crohns Disease and back in the 1940's-1970's there was not much to do with it if it was causing ulcerative colitis, so chopping out intestine was the method.  Pretty gruesome...  She is at least at rest now.

You have one more week with "The Pin".  Maybe make a ring out of it as a reminder to not stick your hand into things that crush, bang, bump and grind?? :-) Pain is a wonderful reminder of what not to do.

I have described some of my close calls to friends and relayed the experiences of my family and one of the remarks that always amused me was , "Maybe I should not be standing to close to you".  On the other hand I have been incredibly lucky in spite of the things that have happened to me.  A girlfriend once said to me, as the car we just flipped end over end down a rural highway came to rest, "boy are you lucky" since neither one of was hurt; the car was trashed.  Getting run off the road by a drunk and left in the dark 50 miles from a town was an interesting experience!

• Like 1

On 12/7/2016 at 0:09 AM, mguerra said:

I'm really hoping so.. Got lots of therapy to go thru after the pin comes out on the 19th.

6 hours ago, FotonDrv said:

Mom passed away many years ago (I am 70 yrs old).  She made it to 68 before pancreatic cancer got her, which was not the source of those surgeries, that was Crohns Disease and back in the 1940's-1970's there was not much to do with it if it was causing ulcerative colitis, so chopping out intestine was the method.  Pretty gruesome...  She is at least at rest now.

You have one more week with "The Pin".  Maybe make a ring out of it as a reminder to not stick your hand into things that crush, bang, bump and grind?? :-) Pain is a wonderful reminder of what not to do.

I have described some of my close calls to friends and relayed the experiences of my family and one of the remarks that always amused me was , "Maybe I should not be standing to close to you".  On the other hand I have been incredibly lucky in spite of the things that have happened to me.  A girlfriend once said to me, as the car we just flipped end over end down a rural highway came to rest, "boy are you lucky" since neither one of was hurt; the car was trashed.  Getting run off the road by a drunk and left in the dark 50 miles from a town was an interesting experience!

O so sorry for your loss.. I actually been pretty blessed.. No real bad injuries to mention,  only this one. So hoping I go another 50yrs of injury free. 

11 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Good old vice grips come in handy lol sorry about the pun not

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Lol.. Aussie.. Actually ckreef and I  both laughed.  The doctor told me he was going to use some when it came time.. Sounds terrifying but the cold spray is what done me in.. I kept pin for a reminder... Never Ever want to go thru that again... Whew! Once is way too many. 

Edited by skreef
  • Like 1

Lol.. Aussie.. Actually ckreef and I  both laughed.  The doctor told me he was going to use some when it came time.. Sounds terrifying but the cold spray is what done me in.. I kept pin for a reminder... Never Ever want to go thru that again... Whew! Once is way too many. 

No you don't want to go through that again that's for sure good to see it is healing up. Nicley

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1