billg71

Am I torturing my cats?

About 5 years ago I adopted two cats, they're the basement cats since they don't get along with the upstairs cats. One female, one male, spayed/neutered, obviously house pets that had been abandoned. They have great personalities and since I spend a lot of my time in my basement office and workshop, we've really developed a relationship. They get fed a combination of premium canned food and dry food.

But they're both overweight despite my limiting their diet. They get(combined) less than the manufacturer's recommended food for one normal adult cat. The male is a little chunky, the lady has been described by the vet as "grotesquely obese", she weighs in at  25 lb..

So I found a kitty torture bowl on Amazon and I'm giving it a try. So far, so good, but they're not happy with it although dry food consumption has gone down. Its only been a week since the new food bowl arrived and I hope it'll help but they complain so much I feel bad.

Is this just tough love or am I torturing my kitties?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Bill

I think this is a good solution to the problem. Both of my dogs literally vacuum up their kibble. One of the reasons that I feed them 3 times a day instead of once or twice. I believe that it helps with weight control.

Now, if I could only find a bowl like that for me - LOL!! 

They're cats. Since you haven't posted a rotisserie cat cook yet I'd say you're not torturing them. They'll eventually get use to it. 

I'm tempted to try kitten kabobs soon but if I did Mrs skreef would probably follow with a reef rib cook - LOL - it'd be like that movie Fried Green Tomatoes except at the Bistro instead of the Whistle Stop Cafe. 

Edited by ckreef

On 5/20/2017 at 1:51 PM, ckreef said:

They're cats. Since you haven't posted a rotisserie cat cook yet I'd say you're not torturing them. They'll eventually get use to it. 

I'm tempted to try kitten kabobs soon but if I did Mrs skreef would probably follow with a reef rib cook - LOL - it'd be like that movie Fried Green Tomatoes except at the Bistro instead of the Whistle Stop Cafe. 

Asians have recipes for dog but I never heard about cats.  Lewis & Clark's expedition's men got to preferring dog to venison and buffalo hump and had to be convinced to give up the practice once they got back to civilization; no mention of cats. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

I had a cat once it was like a dog would come to me when I whistled .

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

I had a Siamese cat that liked riding in the VW Bus and would go on long trips and get out at Rest Stops to potty and come back when called.  I taught him Spanish for all his commands and I taught him to swim.  He would follow me into the pools alongside a river but was smart enough to avoid the swift current.  Fred was a good cat.

• Like 2

I had a Siamese cat that liked riding in the VW Bus and would go on long trips and get out at Rest Stops to potty and come back when called.  I taught him Spanish for all his commands and I taught him to swim.  He would follow me into the pools alongside a river but was smart enough to avoid the swift current.  Fred was a good cat.

Any cat that can learn Spanish is awesome lol. I personally don't like cats well in saying that I do but cats have been introduced to Australia and feral cats kill our little native marsupials .I believe for where I live they should be indoor or shot

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Aussie, you are right about cats killing things for sure.  Pound for pound they are the largest killers of things on the planet.  I have seen my cat drag back a rabbit almost twice her size just to show me; if it moves they try to attack it, AND they will double team a target when necessary.

Were they ships cats from square rigger era that went feral that are decimating the Australian critters??