Stevesoncoals

Brisket and Short Ribs - Help !

7 hours ago, Stevesoncoals said:

Ps where did you buy it ?

I got it from https://www.fireboard.com/shop/fireboard-fbx11-thermometer/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwNGBvOaI2wIVVRSPCh0ebgw6EAAYASAAEgJ-8PD_BwE

its in Perth but stuck with auspost at the moment. I got the 3 probe pack and also got 2 comp probes  the comp probes are straight so I thought they would go through the kk probe holes easier  

As as I say, I didn’t get the fan with it. Will see how I go without the fan. So far I have been fine without it. 

1 minute ago, Tangles said:

If you want a fan you can also check out smart fire. It’s Australian. https://smartfirebbq.com/products/smartfire-bbq-controller

It gets good ratings too  

theres a bloke in Henley brook selling his on the bbq Aust Facebook page. It’s new with assessories. 

6C9FD68D-9C6D-4AA7-9780-78D71E54F02D.png

Haha I just notice his name. Hopefully it not fake but the admins on this group are pretty strict on accepting people in the group so should be fine. It’s pick up anyway so don’t part with cash unless you see it. 

On 5/16/2018 at 4:36 AM, amusedtodeath said:

How do you find you usually open the lower dials for the cooking range from 265-300? (I have the 21"), and the top? 

Something small pencil sized.. Does not really change much in the big scheme of things.. maybe a few degrees as long as it's open.. It it ain't leaving the chimney, it ain't going in the lower draft door..

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2018 at 6:52 AM, Tangles said:

its in Perth but stuck with auspost at the moment. I got the 3 probe pack and also got 2 comp probes  the comp probes are straight so I thought they would go through the kk probe holes easier  

Please let us know how it goes. I like the look of the fireboard. I’m also keen to get a fan. Am I right that you can control your cook (if you have a fan) from a completely different place as long as you are connected to the cloud (ie. have any internet access).

Also a very novice question, what fitting do I need for a fan, from looking at bbqguru it looks like I need a 1 3/8” threaded adaptor. Which for something like a fireboard blower  looks not straight forward as they’re designed to put in the rectangular air intake on a BGE or similar. Did you have a fan in mind if you did go that way ?

ps chickens and pork belly tonight !!!!! So hungry already !

16 minutes ago, Stevesoncoals said:

Also a very novice question, what fitting do I need for a fan, from looking at bbqguru it looks like I need a 1 3/8” threaded adaptor. Which for something like a fireboard blower  looks not straight forward as they’re designed to put in the rectangular air intake on a BGE or similar. Did you have a fan in mind if you did go that way ?

Don't know anything about Fireboard, but if you're buying a Guru, all you have to do is ask for the fan for the KK. Dennis had built the port on all models to fit their fan exhaust. No adapters needed. Plug & Play, baby!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Please let us know how it goes. I like the look of the fireboard. I’m also keen to get a fan. Am I right that you can control your cook (if you have a fan) from a completely different place as long as you are connected to the cloud (ie. have any internet access).
ps chickens and pork belly tonight !!!!! So hungry already !

The FireBoard has been great so far. Doing jerky today and the charts are handy. Am at my son basketball and it’s good to see that temps are constant.

You can get the fan cable for the fireboard and plug in other fans. The guru ones fit the KK. I will check if it works with the fireboard and let you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

I looked into the smart fire and guru but once I relized Ora just locks in I seen no need I have an igrill mini that I would like to upgrade to number 2 because the flashing lights do my head in lol and a thermopen..I regularly set up a cook and go out without a worry because when I get home the temp is where I set it .just load the basket and all is good

Outback kamado Bar and Grill

I looked into the smart fire and guru but once I relized Ora just locks in I seen no need I have an igrill mini that I would like to upgrade to number 2 because the flashing lights do my head in lol and a thermopen..I regularly set up a cook and go out without a worry because when I get home the temp is where I set it .just load the basket and all is good

Totally agree with you Aussie.
That said, the Fireboard has Bluetooth and wifi. Has been handy for cooks. I can check in when I am out. The charts are good too.

Agree with the fan. I haven’t got one and will most likely give it a miss. I will find out for others in the forum wanting a fan with the fireboard.

• Like 1

Totally agree with you Aussie.
That said, the Fireboard has Bluetooth and wifi. Has been handy for cooks. I can check in when I am out. The charts are good too.

Agree with the fan. I haven’t got one and will most likely give it a miss. I will find out for others in the forum wanting a fan with the fireboard.

They are awesome for that sort of thing for sure. And nothing wrong having one .your spot on with the fan maybe for an egg or kj but not for A KK .I having been cooking for a while now .I know my beef ribs are at least 5 hours at 250 .so I don't even bother worrying about them did I mention the igrill mini lights do my head in lol

Great thanks

Ok So if you want to have a fan with the Fireboard you need to purchase their fan control cable at $89usd. This cable allows you to plug in a 12v fan with a 2.5mm power adapter.

You can purchase a fireboard fan for $59uss but it’s got a square connector so not perfect for the KK.

The guru pit fan (medium) fits the KK. Their support team sent me this.

“I can confirm that our fan is 12v and it does have a 2.5mm cord but I cannot confirm that it is compatible. Our products are made specifically to use with our controls so I cannot advise you to use these components with a Fireboard. Using them with another control will automatically void the warranty. “

So I suspect it works but I don’t know 100% sure.

I will make do without a fan as Aussie says the KK doesn’t need it. The thermometer is all I need.

I like my gadgets so it’s been hard for me to resist getting a fan but ultimately it’s probably waste of money in my situation

6 hours ago, Tangles said:

The guru pit fan (medium) fits the KK.

Whew glad thats the case, am having the same problem with the Flameboss 300, their fan is a no go on the KK, i emailed them (Flameboss), they wrote back saying they are working on a prototype  for the KK (there you go Dennis) so i just ordered one yesterday (medium pit viper fan) from the Guru boys, don't know how many times i'll get it out to use...but at least its there to use if i ever need to. 

I was using it one day with an ex of mine (BJoe) while waiting at the dentist, monitoring some pork ribs, worked a treat, aint technology grand...until the next solar flare anyways

Edited by BonFire
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Whew glad thats the case, am having the same problem with the Flameboss 300, their fan is a no go on the KK, i emailed them (Flameboss), they wrote back saying they are working on a prototype  for the KK (there you go Dennis) so i just ordered one yesterday (medium pit viper fan) from the Guru boys, don't know how many times i'll get it out to use...but at least its there to use if i ever need to. 
I was using it one day with an ex of mine (BJoe) while waiting at the dentist, monitoring some pork ribs, worked a treat, aint technology grand...until the next solar flare anyways

Let me know how you go. I see the guru fan is on sale at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I’m going to go the same way with the Guru in combination probably with fireboard.

I’m going to go the same way with the Guru in combination probably with fireboard.

My only hesitation is all the comments on here around not needing a fan. I realise that the Komodo is generally very stable, but I did find some variation, particularly rising of temps unexpectedly during the low and slow (275 up to nearly 350) which if I wasn’t home when it happened I think would have ended badly .... alternatively I’m over thinking it and it wouldn’t have made a blind bit of difference. 

I’m going to get one anyway, why should kids get all the toys !!!!

• Like 1