PVPAUL

Baby Back Ribs Help

Hi there @Adam Ag 98.  Obviously too late to help this cook.  How did it go?  When I am going low and slow I light the coals in one spot, open the top up to 3 turns and the bottom wide open.  My target temp for say, brisket is 115C and I wait until I am at about 80C.   At that point I close off the large bottom vent and open the largest hole on the RH bottom vent. I close the top vent and immediately open it back up to max an 1/8th to get up to temperature.  Once up to target temp I then tighten the top vent so that it is only just off its seat to maintain this low temperature.  I don't normally time this but I am guessing it takes between 45mins and an hour.  I don't wait for a "heat soak" at this point.  I just put the brisket on and leave it to cook.  

8 hours ago, tekobo said:

Hi there @Adam Ag 98.  Obviously too late to help this cook.  How did it go?  When I am going low and slow I light the coals in one spot, open the top up to 3 turns and the bottom wide open.  My target temp for say, brisket is 115C and I wait until I am at about 80C.   At that point I close off the large bottom vent and open the largest hole on the RH bottom vent. I close the top vent and immediately open it back up to max an 1/8th to get up to temperature.  Once up to target temp I then tighten the top vent so that it is only just off its seat to maintain this low temperature.  I don't normally time this but I am guessing it takes between 45mins and an hour.  I don't wait for a "heat soak" at this point.  I just put the brisket on and leave it to cook.  

Hi Tekobo - that is close to what I ended up doing. After tinkering every 10 - 25 minutes the first 1.5 hours it settled at 260 with the bottom open 1/4", no holes, and the top just under 1/8th. It parked there for 1.5 hours until I pulled to wrap. 5 minutes after closing it was up to 270 so I closed the top some more (barely open) for the final 70 minutes. When wrapping I pulled each individually and closed behind while wrapping, so it was never open more than 15 seconds each time. When I removed it was 245. Should I have just left where it originally was and it is natural for it to overshoot temporarily after opening a bit?

Overall I'd say they were near perfect. I neglected to mention in previous post that I also added a dash of Tony Chacheres's. Licking my fingers upon wrapping I was afraid I'd used too much sugar, but it turned out great. The more traditional rub was better but both were very good and not too dissimilar in flavor.

Edit to add - total cook time was just over 4 hours for 3.36 baby back loin ribs. Didn't remove silver skin just trimmed some of the fat from the back. I tried but it was just disintegrating so I said screw it, we'll see how it turns out. That's how I'll always do it from now on. Last night I started watching the Aaron Franklin Masterclass and he said he doesn't pull the skin either so great minds, or broken clock twice a day, whatever :)

Final edit: Great bite too - not fall off the bone like they were braised but just firm enough that there was some chew. Didn't require a lot of work to clean the bone.

ribsprewrap.jpg

ribsfirstcut.jpg

Edited by Adam Ag 98
  • Like 6