MacKenzie

Food Gifts-Moose Meat and Cheese Cake

Lucky me, my brother gave me some moose meat that he got in the Yukon and a friend brought me some of her cheese cake.

Decided I'd better SV the moose steak, did it for 6 hours at 134F and it was still too tough for me so put it back on for another 22 hours and here it is-

Juicy and tender but another few hours wouldn't have hurt.

OYOU8P0.jpg

Tony, I did the baked potato using your suggests from American's Test Kitchen. I've done the x cut and squeeze before but this time I made sure to do it asap after it comes out of the oven. Thanks for the tips it is a great method.

0dvgs7u.jpg

A friend who does not live handy me brought 2 pieces of cheese cake yesterday. One is gone and the soon to be. :) Delicious.

dnpEIQP.jpg

PJ, I can't find it either but I did copy what Tony wrote and here it is in case you want to do it tonight-

Cooks Illustrated technique for "Perfect Baked Potatoes

If you don't get the mag, here's the basics:  Prick the spud a few times with a fork (some debate over the necessity of doing this), wet the skin in a saline solution (2 TB salt to 1/2 cup water) - don't need to soak, just roll the spud around to thoroughly wet the skin (you're only seasoning the skin), into a 450F oven on a rack (allows airflow) until the IT hits 205F (about 45 minutes), remove spud and paint the skin in vegetable oil, return to oven for another 10 - 15 minutes to crisp up the skin. Now, here's the critical step - remove spud from the oven and cut a shallow X into the spud. Using mitts, dish towel, etc., push each end inward to break open the spud and let the steam escape IMMEDIATELY after removing from the oven. Will be my "go to" method for baked potatoes going forward.