Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
CeramicChef

Syzygies Smoking Pot

Syzygies    289
On 9/27/2016 at 8:29 AM, HalfSmoke said:

The cold smoker can be used at any temp. Basically, you are generating the smoke externally to the KK by smoldering wood in the cold smoker tube and then forcing the smoke into the chamber via an air pump. Because it isn't adding heat to the cook chamber, you can use it for cold smoking (e.g. cheese, fish), but it also works at high temps as well. You control the smoke intensity.

The smoke pot is also a great innovation, but you probably won't use it above 300 degrees or so because you want the wood inside to smolder, not burst into flames. The smoke pot isn't controllable -- once you place it in the chamber you get what you get until it is done -- and it can't be used for cold smoking because you need a fire underneath it to keep the smoke cranking. These limitations aside, the smoke pot is extremely simple, inexpensive, and produces the highly desirable thin blue smoke we all crave.

So...do you need the smoke pot if you have the cold smoker? Not really, but for only $20 or so it's nice to have around. I can see plenty of times I'll use the smoke pot where I don't want to mess with the cold smoker. For example, an overnight cook where I don't need to control the smoke, but I do want to control the temp using a BBQ guru.

I vote for both.

Yes. The cold smoker sounds to me like the BBQ Guru: One doesn't need either, but if one has either, and doesn't mind the setup, it nails the problem.

I haven't tried the cold smoker yet, though I've been on the verge of buying one. I keep thinking that it doesn't solve any problems for me that I don't already have covered (I don't actually want to cold smoke). On the other hand, for introducing smoke to higher temp cooks where I wouldn't have dared before, or for fresh smoke toward the end of a long cook? I'd believe it if someone told me that the cold smoker makes better brisket, and that alone would be a justification. This is an empirical question...

Pequod    1,016

For me the cold smoker was an easy sell because I do like to smoke cheese. But I'm with you on the rest. For low and slow I think the smoke pot covers it very well. For higher temps, if I use smoke I'll often toss a chunk of wood directly on the lump. Yes, the smoke intensity is off the charts, but it isn't on that long. Will take some playing around to see what the advantages are of the cold smoker at these temps.  

tony b    2,162
On 9/30/2016 at 3:10 PM, ckreef said:

Just think instead of smoking pot now we can smoke a pipe. 

Maybe we should put the pot in the pipe before smoking - just sayin ....... 

:smt046

• Like 1

Jon B.    292

Pipe3.jpeg

Used the "smoke pipe bomb" the other night with peach wood on a nice tri-tip steak.  Heated the grill up to 300* F.  Put the pipe on top of the coals, installed the cooking grate & the meat.

Again there was no smoke for about 15 minutes................compared to dutch oven pot that started smoking right away.  When the smoke started, it was a nice clear colored smoke.  It didn't last more than 10 -12 minutes but it was the right amount of smoke for the tri-tip.   

The black iron pipe showed no signs of manufacturing oils and burned clean.  Actually started to show some rust on the threads.  Not concerned at all about using it on a regular basis. 

I did stuff it full of wood chips, so it is definitely not something you would use if you wanted prolonged smoke during your cook.  Is perfect for those quick cooks needed a hint of smoke. 

The tri-tip was pulled at 140*F IT and had a nice smokey touch.  Had some cold left overs in a salad the next day where I could really taste the peach smoke.  Still very good smoke flavor . 

Plan on using the smoke pipe a lot for the meats/cooks that don't require much smoke _ FYI

Another Quick Aside...............when I'm standing at the grill while smoking meats, getting covered with and breathing the smoke, I have a hard time tasting the smoke flavor when eating the food.  It isn't until I eat left overs the next day that I can really appreciate the added smoke goodness.  Guess the grill smoke effects my taste buds in the short term.