Shuley

Birthday dinner

So I turned the big 3-0 yesterday and if course I wanted to do what I love to do now-barbeque. My family thought I was nuts but whatever. I love what I love. I also got to utilize my early birthday present- my kk. I decided on doing pulled pepper beef, Italian beef, ABTs and chicken wings. Sides were from family. I did twice as much Italian as pepper beef which ended up being good because I prefered the Italian beef.1c3cdf4abf1b3007db5711da71c05259.jpgon they go to pick up some smoke. About an hour and a half later48d0b609f725e1c3e102874fb760329e.jpg

Then added the other ingredients.8781cc56e81a8e76157a9acc0ee1edaf.jpg

52928b7977431a6a96e88ba33b9be828.jpgfoiled and back on at 250 for another 6 hours.21641d6291fd826b8716351b0d248929.jpg

I fired up the old akorn for ABTs and wings.1b6df5b79a56dd8d560548fd47adc4b5.jpg

Wings half way through. ...I forgot how uneven this grill can be and did not do a good job rotating the wings. Half were awesome and the other half were a little too done.eeaf7c498d9de4471a5a836233103a4f.jpg

The ABTs were gone in a flash and the wings disappeared shortly thereafter. I didn't get Any pictures when they were done. I did of the beef. Pepper beef.4fa3549cafb1eed6b52cfeb8f5093ec4.jpg

Italian beef.be5525d92484e39b2a53c7f09986ea61.jpg

My birthday plate. With funeral potatoes, macaroni salad and green salad. I did a half sandwich of each of the beef so I could have a side by side comparison.95dd5c31f57d8b907e140ce9dc60bbf3.jpg

Fun cook.

Shelly - great pics and a great money shot.  I hope you have the best birthday ever!  Here's to many, many more wonderful birthdays!  Kudos on a wonderful cook.

Hey, will you come to Oklahoa, next April and cook my birthday dinner next April?  I thought given what I see above I should get my reservation in early! :)

Happy Birthday Shuley!!

You have to do what you love on you birthday. Thats some great food you prepared for everyone.

I've made the pepper beef before, what makes the Italian one different?  

The Italian beef is super easy. You will think there`s no way that will taste good. I rubbed it the night before with pappy`s. Wrapped over night. Got my kk to 250, put it on the grate for about 1.5 hours to pick up some smoke flavor, then pulled it and put it in an aluminum pan. For about a 4 lbs. Chuck steak it's one jar of pepperoncinis and their juice, 1 slice onion, a few whole cloves of garlic, and a couple splashes of Worcestershire and liquid aminos. Cover with foil and put back in for about 6 hours. Then pull the beef and put back on of you want some of the liquid to evaporate. Really the au jus produced is very tasty. I served with toasted rolls with provolone cheese and a horseradish dill sauce (if desired...this time I didn't even use the horseradish sauce because the jus is so flavorful....however many people in my family love that.)

Happy Birthday Shuley!

Would you mind sharing your beef recipes? I haven't had a good Italian beef since I last visited Chicago! 

The Italian beef is super easy. You will think there`s no way that will taste good. I rubbed it the night before with pappy`s. Wrapped over night. Got my kk to 250, put it on the grate for about 1.5 hours to pick up some smoke flavor, then pulled it and put it in an aluminum pan. For about a 4 lbs. Chuck steak it's one jar of pepperoncinis and their juice, 1 slice onion, a few whole cloves of garlic, and a couple splashes of Worcestershire and liquid aminos. Cover with foil and put back in for about 6 hours. Then pull the beef and put back on of you want some of the liquid to evaporate. Really the au jus produced is very tasty. I served with toasted rolls with provolone cheese and a horseradish dill sauce (if desired...this time I didn't even use the horseradish sauce because the jus is so flavorful....however many people in my family love that.)

Shelly - great pics and a great money shot.  I hope you have the best birthday ever!  Here's to many, many more wonderful birthdays!  Kudos on a wonderful cook.

Hey, will you come to Oklahoa, next April and cook my birthday dinner next April?  I thought given what I see above I should get my reservation in early!

Thank you! It's been a wonderful ride thus far!

I have never been to Oklahoma before! I am super excited that I will be visiting Texas this fall for my cousin's wedding. I have not been to any of the Midwest for anything more than a layover before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shuley said:

Pappy' s is a seasoning blend? Any particular flavor profile if I try a Google search? I've not seen it before...

After the Worcestershire, and liquid "aminos".  Is that a typo?  I don't know what that is...

Thanks Shuley!

Pappy' s is a seasoning blend? Any particular flavor profile if I try a Google search? I've not seen it before...

After the Worcestershire, and liquid "aminos".  Is that a typo?  I don't know what that is...

Thanks Shuley!

Liquid aminos come in a bottle like this.50ade802f8f7891f325a417389c133bc.jpg pappy`s I think must be a regional thing, so I love it. The first time I made Italian beef I made my own rub that worked well...and it wasn't really going for the pappy`s flavor. I went light on the salt because the jars of pepperoncinis has a lot of salt. Black pepper, ground mustard, garlic and onion powder, and I think that was it. Honestly you could probably just do salt and pepper. The pepperoncinis and juice from the meat end up making it fairly intensely flavored.

On a side note, someone told me about a crock pot version of this before I ever tried this, and they used a ranch seasoning PACKET. Sorry, I had to clarify packet because when she was telling me about it I was envisioning the dressing and it just grossed me out. I have yet to try that.

I found Pappys seasonings and they do have a 50%reduced salt version, so I'll go with that given your comments about the pepperochinis.  I appreciate the picture of the aminos bottle.  Is that an amount to taste, or a particular measured amount?

This will be next weekends project - thanks!

Edited by KevinD