Pequod

Pork Belly Futures

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

Once I get my pantry rebuilt (expanding it into a small walk-in pantry) I'll have room to store a slicer. Then I'll give it a go. 

I've been using a meat slicing knife on mine and know what you mean. While it works, a slicer would make quick work of it. 

Just now, MacKenzie said:

It is great to have the battery option for those KKs that are not close to an electrical outlet but if you are I'd much prefer to use that.

It's just the cables and electricity in the rain that bothers me outside.  Best to have both options.. easy to have a small external power plug that can be sealed with a rubber plug.

3 minutes ago, DennisLinkletter said:

How did you like the Thermoworks Smoke?  I'm guessing it's great.  I really like the fact it's battery operated. Sorta a pain to have to plug in the Guru.

I like it a lot. Similar in functionality to a Maverick, but much better built and MUCH easier to set up alarms. Using again today. Here it is in action. Not much to see. Was actually making a short video of the smoke from the smoke pot.

Mavericks just don't last for me.. Never have.  I used to buy them three at a time.  I'm going to buy a Thermoworks Smoke and put it thru the paces. Might be a nice service to have them available in the KK web store. They don't sell wholesale but would save my customers the hassle of an additional purchase. 

The Thermoworks Smoke will have a wifi add-on available in 2017, but isn't there yet. It has a 300' range even without, which is sufficient around the house. What I despise most about the Maverick is how hard it is to set and use alarms. I don't bother using this feature because it is too hard to use...and I have advanced degrees in engineering! Ridiculous! The Smoke addresses all of the deficiencies of Maverick with Thermoworks quality. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

Just one heads up on the Smoke -- the included meat probe is the type with a bend that won't pass through the probe port on the KK. You need to order a straight penetration probe -- or two if you want to use it to probe two meats at once. 

Probes with the 90º bend can be carefully straightened.. You need to make many small bends moving along the bend using a vise. The gap in the teak side tables works well to do this too.

On 11/6/2016 at 0:10 PM, DennisLinkletter said:

I really like the fact it's battery operated. Sorta a pain to have to plug in the Guru.

I use something similar to these battery charger. I just plug in the Guru in the 12VDC port. I can get about 3 or 4 long cooks out of a charge. It recharges in just a few hours. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Black-Decker-JUS300B-Profile-Starter/dp/B001F1U5D0

https://smile.amazon.com/Stanley-J7CS-Battery-Starter-Compressor/dp/B001U04NCA

AND, I can still use it to jump start my car when needed. It's a multitasker (shout out to Alton Brown!)

Edited by tony b