MacKenzie

Pasture Raised Pork

Following advice from a friend I picked up some pasture raised pork chops. Did a test one today and now I'll be putting this butcher shop on my regular list when in the big city.

Chop Ready for Grill.jpg

On the grill.

Chop on Grill.jpg

Cooked @ 275F until IT was 145F

Chop Off The Grill.jpg

Plated with pressure cooker potato slices, 2 mins. at low level and then added to the frying pan with a little oil and butter, garden fresh carrots and parsnips.

Chop Dinner.jpg

Interior of a very moist tasty pork chop. I wish I had bought more of this pork.

Inside Chop.jpg

Potatoes cooked via the PC have a different texture internally, more creamy than if they had been boiled, much nicer in IMHO.

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 3

Welcome to the Real Meat Club, Mac! Trust me on this, there's nothing you can buy in a grocery or Big Box store that will excite the taste buds like a heritage pig that's been pasture raised.

Mother Nature has forgotten more about raising pigs than Smithfields can ever hope to know.

• Like 1

That's my girl!

Living in the land of tasty hogs has me spoiled and I can't preach enough about dumping that "other white meat," crap in the mainstream markets!!! Once you've had tasty pig fat, you can't go back!

Berkshire is getting to be standard around here. Been branching out to Mulefoot and Red Waddle. 

Finally found a large pasture raised farm in GA. They have free range  chickens, cows, pigs, lamb and goat. They are also the only farm in the US that has both a cow and pig butchering facility on premises. (very strick regulations for butchering pigs and butchering other animals at the same location). They sell every organ and every cut from all their animals. 

Although they are a 3 hour ride from the house they are less than 90 minutes from where I'm working  these days. Figure I'll cut out in my work truck at about 3:00 pm and swing by there one day. Will go by there one day after Thanksgiving vacation and before  Christmas. 

Edited by ckreef

@ckreef, that would be White Oak Farms, right?  Will's a great guy, really believes in what he does. I chatted with him a while back when he was cooking hamburgers at the local Whole Foods and he impressed me with his commitment to humanely raised proteins. I get a lot of his meat, it's great.

Sign up for their newsletter, they occasionally have some great deals. I have 7 of their chickens in the freezer from the last sale. :)

Best,

Bill

@billg71 yes I was talking about White Oak Farms. They interviewed him on NPR the other day for a good 20 minutes or more. He gave the entire history of the farm starting with his grandfather. He does seem commitmented to humainly raising and butchering his livestock. 

After talking with Mrs skreef were going to make a trip down there one Saturday after Thanksgiving. 

Hurray for you folks! More people need to know more about where their food comes from and they'd probably stop eating the crap that they do. 

Wish I could say that I exclusively buy my meats from my local sources, but the lure of cheaper meat sometimes wins (example, $0.39/lb chicken leg quarters at the Supermarket and $2.79/lb Prime grade briskets @ CostCo.

35 minutes ago, tony b said:

Hurray for you folks! More people need to know more about where their food comes from and they'd probably stop eating the crap that they do. 

Wish I could say that I exclusively buy my meats from my local sources, but the lure of cheaper meat sometimes wins (example, $0.39/lb chicken leg quarters at the Supermarket and $2.79/lb Prime grade briskets @ CostCo.

I understand what you are saying. I've fully explored the prices for White Oak Farms meat. I don't mind the road trip to pick up the meat but the price dictates it will be special weekend meals. I'll use the cheap crap for quick weeknight meals.