_Ed_

Grillin' in the rain

Weather in London not massively conducive to outdoor cooking recently - it's not the cold I mind, it's the rain. But I finally located the intestinal fortitude to venture outside as the sight of the KK lying idle for a month was more disappointing than the weather. So went simple: Cornell chicken, grilled salt & vinegar potatoes. And some rain. On the bright side, Spring is just round the corner... can certainly recommend the Cornell recipe (Fette Sau or Meathead version). I went direct but high up at 275 to start, and finished on middle grate. Turned out nice again.

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

• Like 3

Well done, sir! I'm a huge fan of Cornell chicken. I follow Steven Raichlen's recipe, which is similar to Meathead's. 

Cornell Chicken

Ingredients

1 Large Egg

1 Cup Vegetable Oil

2 Cups Cider Vinegar

3 TBL Kosher Salt (Yeah, it’s a lot of salt, but don’t freak on it!)

1 TBL Poultry Seasoning (I prefer Penzey’s, but whatever use a good one - It’s critical!)

½ Tsp Black Pepper

Instructions

Need a blender or food processor (fp) to mix this up, as it is a cross between a very thin mayonnaise and a brine. 

First, place the egg in the blender/fp and pulse 2 or 3 times quickly to break up the egg. 

With the blender/fp running at medium speed, add the oil in a slow trickle to make an emulsion. 

Next, with the blender/fp still running at medium, add the vinegar, slowly to not break the emulsion. 

Finally, dump in the salt, poultry seasoning, and black pepper. Run blender/fp until incorporated. 

Pour marinade over chicken in a non-reactive pan or in a Ziploc bag and marinate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. The longer the better – I’ve done it up to 2 days.

Cook chicken over indirect heat, with grill at 350-375F. If you want to use a smoking wood, I’d suggest a mild fruit like peach or apple. Cooking Time will vary with cuts – whole versus quarters, versus individual pieces.  You can do direct heat if you use the top grate, as this marinade with cause flare-ups, especially in the next step.

Baste the chicken with the marinade every 15 -20 minutes. Since it was in contact with raw chicken, stop basting at least 15 minutes before you take the chicken off the grill. (Or, mix up a second clean batch of marinade to baste with if you’re paranoid about such things or if you want to dunk the finished chicken in the marinade one final time as you take it off the grill, similar to Big Bob Gibson’s famous white sauce).

• Like 1

@tony b yep, that's very similar the one I used. Only difference is using own blend of herbs rather than poultry seasoning - roughly a pinch of savory, marjoram, thyme, tarragon, rosemary, parsley and sage (all dried). On the salt front, 3 tbsp is 45 grams or so, and you've got 750-800ml of liquid (depending on the size of your egg) so it's really a 5-6% brine, which isn't remotely controversial. The one recipe note I have is really to make sure that the emulsion sets up a bit - really helps with keeping the marinade on the meat as you baste it.