sovsroc

Good Morning From Reading U.K.

Like most people here i have lurked for a while not as long as some as i was without a grill having sold my gasser and thinking i could live with a pellet smoker and WFO. (schoolboy error).

My friend has been telling me about his JO and how great it is for many years i looked at that and the BGE then i saw the KK site and started looking, So from no grill to a order in 3 weeks. I know no willpower, but it sure looks nice (Kids picked the colour i wanted Blue) :)

So the UK members continue to grow !

My list of good is as follows:-

42" Matt black pebble (pebble is the best and you get the better taste of food from it apparently)

Cold smoker,

Grate grabs,

Sunbrella cover,

Side tables,

Roti cradle and h/duty motor,

Baking stone,

Gas burner.

Teak workstation with pull out drawers.

How i got all this past my wife i still don't know.

Apparently getting to the docks in Surabaya today I am really looking forward to it.

Lastly what a great forum to have lurked on with nice people it suits Dennis down to the ground who has been very busy but always had time for me.

Kind Regards

Sovs

• Like 5

BTW Just got the email with the owners manual never had a cooker like this before. But my WFO is refractury concrete so i might have a small head start with its use altho my WFO now has some cracks inside.

Here's hoping i can get some some food like you guys off this grill. Some of the pictures ..............

• Like 3

Congrats sovsrok on such a quick decision to invest.
I attended a wake this afternoon for an 87 year old gentleman and it reminded me life is full of short stories of great times.
With all these KK’s heading to England I’m thinking we are due a return trip to visit some good friends.
Enjoy your delivery and cooks, I’m looking forward to seeing your photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

:smt041

Congratulations and Welcome to the Obsession. You are definitely in for a huge (literally) surprised when that BB 42 arrives. Can't wait to see the pics!

Just curious - what made you order the gas burner insert? That's very uncommon - in fact, Dennis stopped making the back door for it some time ago and made a retrofit bolted door for the rest of us to seal it up so we didn't have air leaks. 

Edited by tony b

5 hours ago, sovsroc said:

Thank you Tekobo

Goat i haven't eaten since i lived in Africa It must eat a lot of stuff on the way over by boat.

We laughed when we saw the "stuffed" e-mail.

Southampton.

Fingers crossed before Christmas.

Yay!  See you at the docks in Southampton.  I hope your 42 big brother KK will make friends with mine on the way over.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RokDok said:

Congratulations @sovsroc,

Wow 42 " ! What a start !

I'm surprised @tekobo hasn't mentioned it yet , but there is probably time to sneak a 16" in there too :-).

My port is Southampton as well , but no news yet of any shipment yet.

Looking forward to the updates.

Best

RD

Looks like when they ship to Southampton there will be plenty of kk's on that container the docks will wonder whats going on.

15 hours ago, tony b said:

:smt041

Congratulations and Welcome to the Obsession. You are definitely in for a huge (literally) surprised when that BB 42 arrives. Can't wait to see the pics!

Just curious - what made you order the gas burner insert? That's very uncommon - in fact, Dennis stopped making the back door for it some time ago and made a retrofit bolted door for the rest of us to seal it up so we didn't have air leaks. 

"You are definitely in for a huge (literally) surprised when that BB 42 arrives."

Well TBH my gasser was 8' long but i imagine this grill will surpass that old gasser in every way.

"Just curious - what made you order the gas burner insert? That's very uncommon"

I made the decision to purchase in a relatively short span i am guessing now maybe that was a error,i was thinking a quicker way to light the charcoal/heat the beast up but now i am thinking cleaner for bread making ? not forgetting better to get it now than later with the shipping costs ect

18 hours ago, Basher said:

Congrats sovsrok on such a quick decision to invest.
I attended a wake this afternoon for an 87 year old gentleman and it reminded me life is full of short stories of great times.
With all these KK’s heading to England I’m thinking we are due a return trip to visit some good friends.
Enjoy your delivery and cooks, I’m looking forward to seeing your photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life can indeed be too short as you can probably tell i can be a bit impulsive :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Welcome, sovsroc. Delivery day is going to be so exciting for you and your family. Take lots and lots of pixs, you just know we all want to see them, it always brings back great memories of our own delivery days. :cheers::-D

Thank you Mackenzie We are looking forward to getting to know how to cook on one of these,no doubt i will be asking questions when it arrives.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 9:04 AM, sovsroc said:

Like most people here i have lurked for a while not as long as some as i was without a grill having sold my gasser and thinking i could live with a pellet smoker and WFO. (schoolboy error).

My friend has been telling me about his JO and how great it is for many years i looked at that and the BGE then i saw the KK site and started looking, So from no grill to a order in 3 weeks. I know no willpower, but it sure looks nice (Kids picked the colour i wanted Blue) :)

So the UK members continue to grow !

My list of good is as follows:-

42" Matt black pebble (pebble is the best and you get the better taste of food from it apparently)

Cold smoker,

Grate grabs,

Sunbrella cover,

Side tables,

Roti cradle and h/duty motor,

Baking stone,

Gas burner.

Teak workstation with pull out drawers.

How i got all this past my wife i still don't know.

Apparently getting to the docks in Surabaya today I am really looking forward to it.

Lastly what a great forum to have lurked on with nice people it suits Dennis down to the ground who has been very busy but always had time for me.

Kind Regards

Sovs

Welcome to the gang. You've not left the group much to work with as you specified everything. So, have you considered a Robin to your 42" Batman? 😀

I can confirm from my 51KK experiences (I have a 32+19 combination before anyone thinks Dennis is cooking up a new model) that black pebble cooks better, stabilises more reliably and imbues all sorts of qualities on the pitmaster owner. 

Edited by Braai-Q
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, sovsroc said:

Goat i haven't eaten since i lived in Africa It must eat a lot of stuff on the way over by boat.

Out of interest - where did you live in Africa? My username probably gives a clue as to my origins. I should confess that I am conducting a survey at the moment - the intersection of UK owners with Africa connections who own KKs. It's surprisingly high! 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Braai-Q said:

Out of interest - where did you live in Africa? My username probably gives a clue as to my origins. I should confess that I am conducting a survey at the moment - the intersection of UK owners with Africa connections who own KKs. It's surprisingly high! 😀

I lived in Liberia only for a short time logging my Father also lived in Africa in Nigeria for 16 years i lived as a young baby there too then my mother and myself returned to the UK.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sovsroc said:

I lived in Liberia only for a short time logging my Father also lived in Africa in Nigeria for 16 years i lived as a young baby there too then my mother and myself returned to the UK.

Interesting, Liberia is a corner of Africa where the insurance company and Foreign Office forsake you. You'll have to look up @tekobo and her Nigerian Suya on the KK. 

I was planning on visiting Central African Republic this year but well, we know how that story goes. I have to get back to Africa at least once a year, even if it isn't home. 

Have you seen a KK in person yet by the way? I have a fantastic recipe for Jamaican Goat Curry (for the free goat) - it does feature Scotch Bonnet but you can substitute if that isn't to your taste. 

• Like 1

Liberia yes you could very easily disappear out in the bush there, but to be fair that could be said for a lot of African countrys

No i have not seen a KK in the flesh yet ...But i did see a picture of the Matt Black Pebble looks really good.

I don't normally beg but... Jamaican goat curry with hot peppers yes please.

I still miss fresh Lobster cooked in palm oil when we used to go to coast and all the fresh coconuts and palm nuts mmmm.