EGGARY

Cooking Chicken up to 148*

Years ago I had printed an article on cooking chicken up to 148 from Thermopen.  The idea was cooking the chicken up to 148 and then then let it stay at 148* the chicken will be safe to eat.  I tried it with a Chicken Breast.  The temp reached 148 and I let it go in the KK for additional 8 minutes.  The dome cook was at 280.  I took off the breast and let it sit for 5 minutes.  The temperature of the chicken went up to 151.  The Chicken Breast was cooked perfectly to my liking.  It was very moist.   I just wonder if doing the same way when cooking a whole chicken and doing the same way will the Thighs be cooked enough to be safe to eat.  And I am not a big fan of eating chicken breasts.  

• Like 4

I have seen some charts that show how long the meat needs to be at a certain temperature in order for it to be considered safe to eat. I found that the conventional wisdom of 165 is way conservative and basically means the second it hits that temp, it is safe to eat. 150 on the other hand requires maintaining that temp for 3 minutes. I have modified somewhat when I bring it off but still afraid to push it quite that low. I still bring it off the grill when it is in the 150's knowing I am safely over the 3 minutes mark and it is definitely juicier now.

• Like 5

https://www.nichibei.org/2020/03/the-gochiso-gourmet-vermicular-for-me/

The following is a quote from the above link. I found it interesting and would like to try it but need to read more.

And poultry, whether chicken or turkey, needs to be fully cooked. The temperature is usually set at 176 degrees to just get the proteins cooked, but low enough that dry breast meat isn’t an issue. So I followed the recipe listed in their included cookbook and brined a boned turkey breast overnight, then drained and dried the breast and formed it, wrapping it in Saran wrap, then cooked it at 176 degrees. Because the recipe only called to “sous vide” it for 30 minutes total, I actually cooked it at 176 degrees for 80 minutes, turning it on each side for 20 minutes. And despite the additional cooking time, it was as moist and tender as turkey gets. In fact, the Mrs. says she’ll be on the lookout for turkey breast at every supermarket trip. I also spiced then wrapped boneless, skinless chicken breast (without brining) and cooked them at 145 degrees for three hours with the same tender, moist results!

Moist-Chicken-Breast_WEB.jpg

• Like 2

I've found the most important thing with cooking a chicken is to ensure it's at room temps. It always amazes me how long the cold can stay deep inside the bird and in the bones. Probe your wanna be room temp birdie with your Therapen to  really know.. you might surprise your self.  I know every time I've seen blood in the joints it's been a rush to room temp birdie.  

• Like 3