braindoc

Grendel invades Rhode Island!

After a few delays traveling cross-country our 32” was at long last unloaded at the final shipping terminal in Massachusetts on June 7 or 8, and I scheduled delivery for Friday the 11th.  The expected delivery time was between noon and 2PM but the driver called at about 10:45AM to tell us he was 30 minutes away.  Fortunately, we were finishing our errands and were home in 10 minutes.

The driver was great.  The crate was unloaded.  Others have commented about not appreciating the size until it is right in front of you.  I showed him where it needed to go around back.  Two 4x8 pieces of plywood were already in place over the crushed stones on the side of the house.  He agreed to help and away we went leapfrogging the plywood until we reached the patio.  Perhaps, a half hour total.  He tried to turn down the tip, but we insisted he take it.  He was worth every penny.

I did not have any burly helpers, and did not want to wait to assemble a team, so I proceeded to uncrate on my own.  Really impressed with how well everything was packed and secured!  After unbolting the sides of the crate from the base it was obvious that I could not lift it up and over the KK on my own.  I took off the slats from the front of the crate which allowed me to tilt the rest backwards and drag it away.  Not ideal doing this alone, but doable nonetheless - even by someone who is not an exemplar of muscularity, lol.

After pondering a while, I decided to take the supplied crowbar and remove the pieces of wood in front of the front wheels.  Wasn’t sure that was correct but didn’t see any other way of rolling the grill off the platform.  I imploded the center support box - I found that quite enjoyable.

My wife came to give me a hand.  We rocked it a bit, pushed, and it rolled off the wheel supports (not sure what else to call these).  We must have turned the KK so the rear wheels got around the front supports as we moved it towards the ramp but I don’t recall exactly.  Down the ramp and onto the patio for unwrapping.  Opening the lid and removing each item was embarrassingly exciting.  Even after all I read on these forums, I was not ready for the heft of the grill grates and the other pieces.  I’m still not sure why there are four heat deflectors.

Here are some of the photos, not sure why several imported rotated.  Sorry, 😣.

B2225924-979C-41DC-9D79-229FE9256DAB.jpeg

2695B85F-7F1E-44FC-90CC-8291701F072F.jpeg

F8741383-578F-4D91-ACFE-FA996BF3D8EC.jpeg

8494E9E3-C6E8-4110-8C21-E95D2E852AC1.jpeg

165541D7-F265-46EC-AAE3-3AAF38FB136D.jpeg

A2A074A6-9C3F-406B-BA2D-A3AC1DD19F57.jpeg

D1C47E60-40CA-4C64-B1EE-FFBE7A86FF0E.jpeg

41F50D8E-5AF0-4E67-B24A-3BBD22EDCF1A.jpeg

0291C79A-9119-4AAC-B272-3F5FE3C47158.jpeg

705D2B7D-C052-407A-A408-2CD39392AFFC.jpeg

• Like 7

Thanks a lot.  I have two racks of St Louis ribs cooking.  Just added some sides to reheat, creamed corn with pancetta and truffled creamed spinach.  Both are recipes from the Strip House - a NYC (and elsewhere) steakhouse in case the name is throwing you.

The plan is to crank up the heat after the ribs are done and throw on some shrimps, scallops, and vegetables.  Maybe, I’ll post some photos.  Depends on how good things look.

• Like 2

The ribs were quite good.  I was in the 225-240 F° range for about 5 hours.  The sides went on top, using the bottom grate inverted.  (Did I explain that correctly?)

When the ribs were ready,  I took them off and removed the main grate.  I opened the bottom vent and spun the cap open.  I put the vegetables on the middle grate, and several minutes latter the shrimp/scallops.  It took longer to get up to temp than I expected.  I wonder if I should have put the food on the bottom grate right over the fire instead.

All in all, not a bad first cook.

It doesn’t matter much with these photos,  but can someone explain why many of my photos are importing with a 90° rotation?

73A8ABAB-AC20-47FA-83F4-DBC1FDD3220F.jpeg

2A3B65C1-7E05-4A44-B5F4-EF721132FE0A.jpeg

7CD8699C-C9D1-4171-A27D-9655F52F6755.jpeg

11C9CBE4-C717-40E3-AF8E-53BA18A5742B.jpeg

0180C18C-5063-4A3E-98DA-0E212E9CB9E6.jpeg

• Like 2

I wish that I could decipher why photos sometimes post sideways?? No clue! 

The most likely explanation for your inability to ramp up the temps after the rib cook was that you were low on charcoal at that point. One of the mantras of this site is "You Can't Put Too Much Charcoal In The Basket!" 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 8:38 PM, tony b said:

I wish that I could decipher why photos sometimes post sideways?? No clue! 

The most likely explanation for your inability to ramp up the temps after the rib cook was that you were low on charcoal at that point. One of the mantras of this site is "You Can't Put Too Much Charcoal In The Basket!" 

Hi tonyb- I think I figured out the rotated photo issue.  As I was posting yesterday I noticed that when I imported an “actual” size photo it imported correctly.  If I reduced the file size, it imported with a  90° rotation.  I’ll let someone else can figure out WHY that happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2