rcovey

Fan mount for Fireboard Labs Fan

If you Google Bbq Guru, you'll most likely see that their wifi controllers have been very problematic for the last several years but few complaints about their fans.

I have one of their CyberQ controllers and the 25 cfm fan; I gave up on the controller - it was always aggravating to use, but a few firmware updates made it pretty much useless and it sometimes took weeks for them to provide any fixes - but I had no issues with the fan. The fan wiring didn't have any strain relief and that worried me, so I used some electrical tape to tape the wiring to the fan housing to provide some protection from accidentally yanking the wiring out of the fan.

I switched over to a Thermoworks Signals and Billows fan and have been much happier with that setup.

On 2/23/2024 at 2:11 AM, Dennis said:

@C6Bill How many probes will BBBQ Guru handle?  Is it WIFI?  

TIA

if you are looking for a controller with more than 4 ports, Fireboard 2 Drive has 6 thermistor ports. Wifi and Bluetooth. if you get this, use the 2 probes supplied until they break, then buy thermoworks probes because they are better made. avoid the Fireboard fan, the cable wraps, the magnetic base. all junk. and get the bbqguru pit viper fan.

Edited by David Chang
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In case someone was looking for an alternative to Billows.  I have a Serious Big Bad and had a hard time the last two years trying to get a set temp of 225-275.  Most times it will start there but then spike over 300 and stay there or almost go out for brisket cooks, .  After researching on these forums and else where I purchased a Fire board and Humphreys fan.  Three cooks so far and temp is stable  without huge spikes or going out on over night cooks.  No adapter needed for the Fan and Fireboard is awesome.  I close bottom vents and open the top 1/4 turn.     

Also, I only need the fire to just ignite and when I set the temp it will get the small fire exactly where I need it and hold.

Hope this helps.

While I don't have a Billows fan, I can wholeheartedly support the idea of the damper on the fan. The BBQ Guru fans come with a damper built in, which is what I have. It is crucial that you choke down the fan outlet, especially on windy days where you can have "vacuum drag" across the top damper which will pull excess air into the fire when the fan isn't running, causing your temps to spike above your controller setpoint, rendering it useless. All choking down on the fan exhaust does is make the fan run a bit more - no worries. 

I was told that BBQ Guru was not always willing to sell only their fans (???)
If you run across that, there are these, but I also do like the damper on the Guru fans. You could always choke the airflow on the Humphreys with something too..
Humphreys Fan for Fireboard
Regular price$ 69.00 USD

Humphreys Link/URL

xxxx.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/26/2024 at 3:08 AM, RIcanBBQ said:

In case someone was looking for an alternative to Billows.  I have a Serious Big Bad and had a hard time the last two years trying to get a set temp of 225-275.  Most times it will start there but then spike over 300 and stay there or almost go out for brisket cooks, .  After researching on these forums and else where I purchased a Fire board and Humphreys fan.  Three cooks so far and temp is stable  without huge spikes or going out on over night cooks.  No adapter needed for the Fan and Fireboard is awesome.  I close bottom vents and open the top 1/4 turn.     

Also, I only need the fire to just ignite and when I set the temp it will get the small fire exactly where I need it and hold.

Hope this helps.

Your damer top setting was too far open.. Remember, charcoal always burns at the maximum volume for the allowed airflow. If it's too hard, there's too much air; if it goes out, you are choking it off.  And you were not taking into account you get a false reading when you first light the grill because the body is sucking up so many BTUs.. When it finally gets to heat.. it rushes to 300 because that was your airflow setting.  I suggest you try opening the damper top, hauling it back until it touches the gasket, and then move it just about an inch. That will get you about 235º

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When using a temp controller for low & slow, my practice is to gradually limit the fan speed (or time on) percentage as the temperature gets to about 150°F, and I know the fire is going. Once the fire gets to my target temp (say 225°F), I'll have it down to 5%. This keeps the controller from getting too much fuel burning, which seems to contribute to spikes early on. I also leave the grates out until the temperature hits the target, then put them in for the heat soak time.