Mcdddy

Smoking in pans or sheet pans on KK

Hi - I have for some reason just seen the light with regard to using pans or sheet pans and a wire rack to elevate meat above the juices. This seems to be an ideal way to keep grill clean and easy transport of meat to and from grill. This has been essential for my cabinet cooker (GF) and preventing grease fires. Are there any downsides? Especially in a KK for low n slow? Cant figure out why you would do low n slow any other way?

Edited by Mcdddy

I routinely shop at restaurant supply stores for this sort of thing. Not all wire racks are intended to be used in an oven.

A further complication for barbecue is the uneven heat distribution from intense radiant heat.

Ideally, find stainless steel oven-safe pans and wire racks.

The real risk is in the other direction, as one improvises barbecue equipment: Galvanized metal offgases toxins when heated sufficiently.

As a rule, one should always be keenly aware, stepping outside long-tested traditions. True intelligence is knowing what one doesn't know. The poster stiffs for this would be Alaskans who defied an ancestral tradition of fermenting in seal skins, because Homer buckets from Home Depot were so readily available. Some of them died of botulism. I'm now fermenting by vacuum packing my chiles with a starter. Do I test pH? You betcha!

Edited by Syzygies

I’m not using Home Depot galvanized metal hardware meant for an entirely different use. They are  food safe aluminum pans and sheet pans meant to be used at oven temps. I’m cooking low and slow @225-235. In this scenario the KK is basically an oven especially using a heat deflector.   Millions use them everyday so if there are toxins I guess we’re all getting gassed. I think  the risk of toxins etc should be a non issue. I get the OCD though.

Edited by Mcdddy
  • Haha 1

In the KK on my 23 I've done 4-5 racks of ribs over an Al wrapped deflector, when it drips down it just carbonizes and any excess rolls off into the fire basket sides. Having an oxygen starved environment keeps the fire low and prevents any flare ups. So except for placing an Al pan beneath for gravy mixings personally I haven't seen the need.  I have found wire racks useful  when smoking/drying up Jerky, it's much easier to remove the whole batch. The downside is cleaning a wire rack itself. I have also entertained the thought of placing the brisket in a Al pan once the bark has set, then add some broth and  sealing the top with Al as opposed to wrapping with paper or Al..  There must be a 100 ways to get to the other side of the river, just wait wait for winter and walk across or take the easiest path  

15 hours ago, Tyrus said:

I have found wire racks useful  when smoking/drying up Jerky, it's much easier to remove the whole batch. The downside is cleaning a wire rack itself.

Fanfare music - dut, dut, dah, da! PBW* to the rescue! A couple hours soak in a warm PBW solution and everything will just wipe off with a paper towel or sponge. 

* = Powdered Brewers Wash:  PBW Cleaner (fivestarchemicals.com)

1 hour ago, tony b said:

A couple hours soak in a warm PBW solution and everything will just wipe off

I have some Mr. Clean, I mean Toney, I bought it on your suggestion and it works great. 2 hours here, 2 hours there...it all adds up you know, maybe I'll just pull the cord on my power washer and zippity do dah it's done or better yet leave it out in the rain. 

• Thanks 1

I've tried using the setup you're talking about, Mcddy.  My reason for doing it was the same as yours...keep the smoker clean. However, I found that the meat didn't taste as smokey as it usually does. I tried it twice and didn't like it either time. Cleaning the pans were as fun as cleaning the rotisserie basket. So I put an aluminum pan on the bottom grate and let the meat drip into it. Maybe the distance has something to do with the flavor and maybe it's my imagination.

• Confused 1

I don't think there's any wrong way to cook in a KK.  Try it all!

However, as far as keeping the grill clean I feel after 15+ years of Kamado use that they are relatively self cleaning, so you don't need to worry so much about keeping the grill clean. Flavor and convenience though.  Do what works best for your preference.

That said (about keeping the grill clean) on my 42 since it is so huge, if I'm cooking indirect I usually put something under my food if it's not over the fire just b/c if I'm only using half (and the same half) of my massive grill for a long time, whatever is dripping down isn't burning up.  And if you're real persnicketty about the smell/taste of animal fat burning in the fire (and depending on which type of animal fat).. there's that.

Edited by johnnymnemonic