tekobo

All Day Kay Kay

We had a big storm in the UK yesterday and today was meant to be dry.  No such luck, it is pouring with rain.  Thankfully the rain started after I had cleaned both KKs out and refilled with charcoal/cocoshell briquettes.  Today I am using the 32 and have the following sequence of cooks:

1. Roast aubergines on the coals for a dip for tomorrow's dinner

2. Bulk bake my favourite cauliflower and harissa dish with my Auntie who loves it too

3. Low and slow some lamb shank (an opportunity to test how fast I can get the KK to cool down)

4. Bake a carrot and pistachio cake for tomorrow's dinner

5. Roast some potatoes and a spatchcock chicken for tonight's dinner

I have listed all of these now so that I can't opt out and run for the Indoor Kitchen (IDK) when the weather gets too bad.  Timing should mean that I should be able to keep the KK going all day without having to re-light.  

Wish me luck!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

So far so good.  I was not brave enough to put the aubergines directly on the coals.  Wanted more control over the cooking process so put the upper grate in upside down so that I was as close as possible to the fire.  Cooked at about 200C for about 40 minutes, turning regularly.  The flesh came out nice and easy, scooped it with a spoon.

image.thumb.jpeg.c2d193adde141bd49139034f50dc255d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.52d58b3ea385c70b3abd4d1d4dd7876e.jpeg

Here are the cauliflower quarters before the chilli butter was applied

image.thumb.jpeg.a12339eb90d64207c93c30fd73170eac.jpeg

Into KK to cook for an hour and ten minutes at about 180C

image.thumb.jpeg.39b90b7bed2b2a2c0759d3c9463bb162.jpeg

• Like 5

Yup, we are going to need info on the dip. I myself wouldn't eat it as i have a purple food rule, only purple foods i eat are M&M's and Black Raspberry ice cream. Other than that no purple food for me !!!! But the lady friend likes it so i would be willing to cook it ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As you can imagine, I have been a bit busy today.  What with cooking, chatting and eating with my Aunt, running in and out to the KK and making up the next dish to go in.  Now got to get out of daytime clothes into something more presentable for when our guests arrive in 15 minutes.  So... recipes will need to wait until Sunday but here is a bit more on progress today.

The legendary KK skill at keeping food moist worked against me with the cauliflower.  After the first 30 minutes it was lovely and soft but no crisping, not like when it is cooked in the oven.  I cranked the KK up after an hour and it was cooked a half hour later.  Probably a bit too cooked, some of the onions were quite black.  But it was all very tasty.  So tasty that I am going to abandon the idea of cooking potatoes tonight and we will have the cauliflower with the chicken instead.  

image.thumb.jpeg.330a264ce7c8ef1fd61fba875e995d03.jpeg

KK legend is that you should not overshoot your temp or it will take you ages to get it back down.  I have never really bought into that legend.  To lower the temp today I wound the top hat down to just off the seat and closed off the bottom air supply to about a quarter.  Here are my timings:

At 15:12 the temp was at about 215C

image.thumb.jpeg.fc44039649ad53e09715b70e3c221b20.jpeg

Half an hour later it was down to 200C.  An hour later it was at 180C and finally, at 17:00, a full 1 hour and 48 mins later, it was down to my target 160C. So yeah, I accept that it does take a while to get the temp down when you have heat soaked a beast as big as a 32 but it is not impossible. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c8f81b16965a64aed1d4bb8242f61c35.jpeg

Dark outside so I took a picture of the cake indoors before it went into the KK beside the pot with the lamb shanks in. 

image.thumb.jpeg.66815a2976ed66ab93d1c33b2da407e4.jpeg

The only problem that I have now is that the cake is cooking slowly and I need to raise the temp in the KK to put the chicken in.  This is where I wish I had followed @ckreef's advice.  If you have more than one KK or piece of BBQ kit, just light both, all.  You will likely need it and it is better to have it hot in time than not!

• Like 4

Cake ended up in the IDK oven to finish off while I cranked up the KK to cook the chicken and warm up the cauliflower.  The chicken came out great after one hour on the top rack at 200C.  Crispy, crunchy skin and juicy inside.  Super yummy.  Reminds you why it's good to have a KK.

image.thumb.jpeg.129cc9ed3c78774754687b4f6b28bf59.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cecabfca7b9c91e2aef887ddf85bb590.jpeg

• Like 4

The products of Friday's cook went into dinner last night.  Here is the aubergine dip with walnuts on top.  It was a hit, with some naan bread.

image.thumb.jpeg.21a22abe6079d25cbaee3e790c18672d.jpeg

We had five courses, each matched with a cocktail.  Here is the fleet of limoncello sour drinks.

image.thumb.jpeg.bcee48f230ee288c0b05360fb750f6c3.jpeg

Followed by roasted poussin and saffron rice with barberries and crispy onions.  Luckily there was a break in the weather and I was able to get the poussin off the KK without getting soaked!

image.thumb.jpeg.4d50bc477b158fc0f72a258e37dd2cf9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.8c2796a1d86da307b555adbd61b04d48.jpeg

The gluten free carrot, pistachio and coconut cake, half cooked in the KK and half in the IDK oven turned out nice. 

image.thumb.jpeg.bddade87b389251697ca1219d417007a.jpeg

We finished with poached dried apricots stuffed with clotted cream and topped off with walnuts.  Simple(ish) and tasty.

image.thumb.jpeg.077282f0efa909d62f97e30cbaae58c9.jpeg

All but one of the recipes came out of the book Persiana.  I will try to find and post the recipes that are available online.

• Like 5

The cauliflower dish from Friday was from Ottolenghi's book Flavour. Link to an online version here: https://www.irishexaminer.com/recipes/?c-recipeid=4124

Some of the Persiana recipes are here:https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/apr/12/persiana-recipes-sabrina-ghayour-cookbook

The rice on Saturday came from the Moro book.  A version of the recipe is here https://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-mororec19g-2009aug19-story.html

And, especially for @C6Bill and his lady friend, here is a link to a very close version of the aubergine dish.  I promise you won't taste the purple! https://saffronandherbs.com/2021/10/23/mirza-ghasemi/

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1