Davidm

32BB or 42SBB? Accessories?

Hello All. Been lurking around the forum for a year or so, but since I finally talked my wife into letting me get a KK I thought would join. I do have a delima though. 32" or 42"? Money IS a factor, but I intend for this to be the last ceramic style cooker I ever need to by so I'm willing to bite the bullet for the 42 if it's worth it.

I've been cooking on a PrimoXL for about 10 years now. No need to sell me on Kamodo tyle cooking. I love it! I live in south Louisiana with high humidity (and more mosquitos than people), and all the metal parts on the Primo are falling apart. I can fix it, but I want a KK so am not going to. I love the shape of the Primo but always wanted something a bit bigger and higher quality. I'm also tired of replacing the firebox. On my third now. Probably 85% of  my use would be grilling, the rest smoking. I use 2-zone cooking almost every time unless I'm smoking something large like a brisket. Cooler side for the meat, hotter side for our "snacks".

So my question is; Do those of you that have the 32 ever wish you would have gone bigger? Probably not for smoking, but for more grilling area? Reverse question for the 42 owners. You ever thought that 42" monster is too big?

Thanks, Dave

I'm a former Primo user and loved the shape too. The KK is similar in shape so I don't think you will miss that and you certainly won't miss not having to replace the firebox. The other great news is that whatever you cook on the KK will taste even better, no kidding. I don't have a 32 let alone the 42 but if my ship were to come in I'd go for the 32 but that all depends upon the amount of food that you will be doing at a time. Whatever you decide I'm sure you are going to love cooking on the KK, it has been a wonderful experience for me.:mrgreen: 👍👍

Thanks MacKenzie. I think the 32 would suit me pretty well, just don't want to ever say "wish I would have got that 42". Saving $3k+ by getting the 32 would probably alleviate some of that though. Thanks again for the comment. 

• Like 1

Welcome @Davidm.  I suspect that, if you have a 42 itch, you should scratch it. That said, I grill in large quantities and have never found my 32 to be too small but that is because I am of the school that thinks you need at least two outdoor cookers so that you can work at different temps and/or use different techniques.  My minimum set up would be a 32 and a 23 or a 32 and a good wood fired oven.  Enjoy and take your time making your choice, it is one of the most fun parts of the KK journey.  

• Like 1

Thanks tekobo. I like your idea of a 32 and another type of cooker. Had not really considered that. Right tool for the right job kinda thing. I like it. I'll take your advice and take my time. I also have to fix my tractor so I can even move the thing into position, so have some time. 

• Like 2

Pizza stone is a very good add-on. Buying it later risks breakage in shipping solo. Plus, we tell all new buyers to load up the pallet with as much CocoChar and Coffee wood as possible. Only way to get it at a reasonable price without having to buy a full pallet. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions! Decided to go big or go home so pulled the trigger on a 42 this morning. Also got the SS side tables, rotisserie and baking/pizza stone. Now.... the wait. Picked one already on the boat though, so not too terribly long.

• Like 3

Yes! I never thought I would think about a grill every single day, but I do! It's cobalt blue tile. All I know is it has an ETA of end of March. I'm guessing that's when  it hits the dock in the US. Not sure how long customs and overland shipping take from there. If I could track that ship I would!

Every time I talk about it my wife just smiles and shakes her head. I'm like a 52 year old kid waiting on Christmas. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Davidm said:

If I could track that ship I would!

You can!   I got to the point where I could see my ship on the map en route to Southampton docks, past my bit of sea, so  I cycled out to the sea front near my house in pitch darkness to see if I could see the ship with my KKs go by.  I couldn't but it was all part of the fun.  Get Dennis' folk to give you the ship's details and you can track it online.  

• Like 2