Skip

Adjusting hinge

3 hours ago, tony b said:

Sorry, but that's a BGE. I have no clue how to do a spring hinge adjustment on it. I don't even know IF it's adjustable? Check YouTube videos or the BGE forum. 

If it is a BGE it isn't a real one, their hinges and side tables do not look like that. Maybe there is someone making knockoff BGE's ???

• Thanks 1

I agree it doesn't appear to be a standard BGE.

Regardless, looking at your 2nd (lower) photo, there appears to be a wear pattern on the shaft through the two springs which, to me, seems to indicate the two springs were once further separated to the left and right instead of centered. I suspect the lower spring arm of each was then tucked behind the respective left and right longer bolt / nut combination (nearer the lower body band) to provide tension on the spring when the lid is opened.

You might try those two things to see if it helps.

• Like 1

Actually the stick alternative might be your only bet. I say that because it bears some resemblance to my Primo (the hinge part depicted in the photo) but obviously the Primo was oval shaped. Also, most Kamados were similar in size to each other in circumference, I remember having a Grill dome out Atlanta Ga in the 90's that had a black strap hinge assembly. The strapping could be removed by loosening a side bolt on each side if I remember correctly, it had the ability by design to fit over larger circumferences so yours maybe a hinge assembly off of another Kamado. The hinge would have the stop set further back, too much weight forward seems to be your problem.  If those two bolts are acting as your stop you might have to drill and tap to reposition however it might comprimise the hinge integrity itself. Paul was right, look into a KK, it's hinge as on mine 8 years on hasn't been readjusted for tension since day one and it stays up in position without any fear of taking off one of my hands.