DennisLinkletter

AUssie Beef Ribs

Saw these well marbled beef ribs and just had to give them a try..

AUbeefRib.jpg

BeefRib.jpg

BeefRibs190.jpg

Took them to 192º and them wrapped them and let them sit in the cooler till morning..

I should have trimmed off more of the top fat.. some of it was a little gristly and inedible..

Great flavor.. My Sai has been making great beef and cheese quesadillas with them..

I've been making great sammies

;)

States lacking quality... huh?

Too bad we can't get beef of that quality here in the States.

I'm not understanding something here...

I saw all kinds of amazing beef while in the Sates.

Pricey yes but beautiful and in abundance.

Every upscale market and butcher had displays full of dream meat.

And a selection of cuts to die for.

IMHO that is..

Your right...its all here, you just have to be willing to pay for it.

In my travels, I have found that its pretty hard to beat the meat selection at the larger and newer Whole Foods markets. You can get almost anything - even aged if you want to drop the coin.

I know there are local butchers still around as well, but I usually cant track them down when I am only in town for 4 days. Sadly, I dont have any around my house, and my closest whole foods or fresh market are 30 minutes away.

Re: States lacking quality... huh?

Too bad we can't get beef of that quality here in the States.

I'm not understanding something here...

I saw all kinds of amazing beef while in the Sates.

I'm talking about the general availability of the superpremium grade of product in the US. When's the last time anyone saw a beef rib with as much interior marbling as Dennis' photo? Where can I buy one like it?

*Puts on flame suit* Our domestic beef (even the USDA Prime grade) is just good, not crazy good. The US has measures in place that make it nearly impossible to get the premium beef from places like Italy, France, Japan, Argentina and Australia.

A tiny trickle of some crazy good imported stuff finds its way here, but you have to go way out of your way to a superpremium vendor (probably that deals mostly to the restaurant trade). When I lived in Japan, I could go to any decent supermarket and buy the crazy good grade of beef. This photo shows a fairly common sight at a Japanese market or department store food section.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donutgirl/630067281/

A brand new Whole Foods Market just opened near me this week. Their case of dry aged USDA Prime bone-on rib roasts *are* dreamy. But it still doesn't approach the quality of the non-aged stuff in the Flickr link above.

Re: States lacking quality... huh?

A brand new Whole Foods Market just opened near me this week. Their case of dry aged USDA Prime bone-on rib roasts *are* dreamy. But it still doesn't approach the quality of the non-aged stuff in the Flickr link above.

I am dying for a Whole Foods market in our area. The closest one to me now is about 2 1/2 hours. Those places are nice. We do have a Fresh Market, but it is kinda like comparing a 7-11 store to a Super Walmart in size.

-=Jasen=-

Whole Foods and Wegmans... wow, what excellent meat selections. A real treat. One year for Dad's birthday, I bought him 2 Weggies Porterhouse. They were gorgeous, and he loved them. :happy8:

I "wrapped" them in a cooler of ice, with a bow on top. :)

Most of the other groceries have "USDA select," if they mark the grade at all. :(

I must be ignorant but I always thought that USDA grades went up to the BEST meats qualities (comparable to what we have here in Oz?) :shock:

I reckon the lamb here is outstanding but that you could get beef at least as good as what we get here (ozzie stock) in the US (with US stock).

The marbling on this cut looks great though (pictures to follow in a few hours).

Prime Beef

Hmm. I have to disagree with the prof. I have been selling prime beef in the northern suburbs of Chicago for over 21 years. USDA prime beef. I have also had the opportunity to vend American Wagyu beef. If you pardon my memory lapse, and not remembering the marbling scores, the highest rating available is around 12 or 13 , could be wrong about that. On a regular basis I have been selling prime rib-eye steaks that rival what Dennis had cooked when he was in the States. The prices are astounding , I will agree, and count myself fortunate to do business in an area that demands very high quality, and be willing to pay for it.

On the other hand I have been fortunate as well to try some authentic Japanese Kobe' beef. It was sublime, a 12 oz ribeye that probably had a market value of around $75.00 wholesale, was a gift from one of my "foodie" fans. He refused payment, and as I shared this with my wife and two of my children, I told them to count by five with each chew!

Some of the Australian Wagyu I sampled was not as impressive as most of the U.S raised Wagyu or even U.S.D.A Prime. ( I do truly love their lamb, finer that New Zealand, IMHO).

This being said, from what I have learned about the animal husbandry practices of the Japanese Wagyu, animal rights activists would raise a fervor that would make the anti-fur debate sound like an ice cream social.

Re: Prime Beef

Cool, a real old school butcher in our midst. Do you fabricate retail cuts from primal cuts or *gasp* sides of beef? I imagine you're like a butcher I interviewed in Grand Junction, Colorado:

http://professorsalt.com/2006/11/09/house-of-meat-grand-junction-co/

I wonder if you'd comment on the changes in USDA Prime graded meat in the past 5 or so years. Some of the people I've spoken to have said that there's been increased demand for USDA Prime, so the industry's harvesting animals younger to make up for the shortfall. How's that affected the meat and marbling on the supply that makes it to your store?

I was saying that top quality meat isn't easy to find, so primeats strengthens my point about the general availability of top shelf meat. For every butcher like primeats, there's hundreds of supermarkets that don't even have meat cutters any more. They sell what the industry calls "case ready" meats. Primeats, you're lucky to be slappin' the Prime meat all day long :lol: when other butchers are slingin' Select at best.

But let's say your well heeled and well traveled customers ask you for something they ate overseas. They want a piece of picanha like they ate in Brazil, or a Chianina steak from Italy. As a retailer bound by your supply chain, where do you get your hands on a side of Charolais beef from France, or a pata negra ham from Spain? That's my other point. Retailers can only sell what their purveyors can provide. In turn, purveyors are shackled by USDA rules on what they can legally sell. None of these amazing meats is legal to sell in the US, and if you've never had it, you wouldn't care that it wasn't available.

Some of that is changing because as of January 2006, the US reopened the gate to Japanese beef, so a trickle of real Kobe beef is making it in again. Iberico ham is supposedly coming in from Spain by 2008. Not holding my breath for Italian raised beef, though.

So yeah, meant no offense to you or your business, primeats. USDA Prime is good stuff, and I'd like to see the industry create more of it to satisfy domestic demand to the point that it's commonly available anywhere. As you know, that's not too likely any time soon.

THOSE BEEF RIBS ARE TO DIE FOR :)

Hi Dennis,

I haven't seen any beef ribs like those before. :eek: I think I'll print a picture a give it to the local butcher at Winn Dixie. Of course, this is the place that when the sirloin steak goes on sale the thickness shrinks to 1/8 inch! :roll: Yes, thankfully they will cut thicker, if its available, after I explain my "unusual" request is because I prefer medium rare which is difficult for me to do with such a thin steak.

One of their excuses is that the poor people in the neighborhood can't afford a thicker cut. Fine and dandy reasoning except that when it's NOT on sale the steak is a more reasonable thickness. Perhaps it is only poor people who shop sales . . .

BTW, overall I think the beef here in the U.S. is excellent, but then I've only been outside the country once.

prime meat

I have seen some of the finest prime beef in the last 2 or three years from my supply house, the supply is always lean(pun intended).

Not only are we limited by what our supply is, we are also limited by what the demand is. For as long as I can remember, prime beef has always been around only 2 to 5 % of the cattle supply, animals need to be fed longer to reach the level of prime so the price will be naturally higher. The prices for prime always out paces the normal market price for choice or lower grades. That being said, almost all grocery stores are going to try to sell on a basis of lower price point.

As for as being shackled by the USDA,the rules and regs. set by them are for our protection, ensuring a safe and wholesome food supply,which by the way, is the safest food supply in the world.If safe food handling practices are not being followed,I wouldn't want to consume it. The food inspection practices are built upon a series of redundancies to insure our safety, to reduce the percentage of biological and mechanical contaminants.

As far as being offended, I am a butcher and you have to to better than that! My skin has become very thick over the last 20 some years(maybe this is why I'm losing my hair?)

If you would like to see some of the product pics offered from our store check out the www.LTHforum.com Query Zier's, and pay close att. to Ronnie Suburbans threads. He may well be our Biggest fan!