DennisLinkletter

Grill design mod from forum feedback

I too have discarded the small basket as I did not see the neccessity. Even with small cooks the big basket is fine without the small. I always burn up all the remaining charcoal trying to burn off the goop from the cook but many people do shut er down and save the lump.

I might have to go this route, too

I have the gas option for my mexi-krapado. I only use it for igniting the lump, but I cant see going back I ran out of LP last weekendm and actually had to use a chimney :shock: Didnt like that one bit after being spoiled. I have a 2nd draft door, so after I light with gas, I switch to the standard door to keep the burner semi clean. The burner in the mexi-krapado works for its purpose, but not for cooking. I cant get an efficient flame from it. Always orange fire, and if I turn it up too high, the whole base fills with fire...like a continuous flashback :P Plus, you have to use the basket with the metal flue around the base with it...since without it, the flame goes out so far its UNDER the firebox, rather than up through the hole in the middle.

It sure would be cool if Dennis could cast in some sort of line for a gas ignition option. A quick release on the outside, and a removable ignition wand that connected to the inside. wouldnt need to be many BTU, just a good steady flame for ignition.

For those of you that have a weed burner...how long do you have to stand out there and shoot the fire to get enogh of a burn going?

Re: I might have to go this route, too

I have the gas option for my mexi-krapado. I only use it for igniting the lump, but I cant see going back I ran out of LP last weekendm and actually had to use a chimney :shock: Didnt like that one bit after being spoiled. I have a 2nd draft door, so after I light with gas, I switch to the standard door to keep the burner semi clean. The burner in the mexi-krapado works for its purpose, but not for cooking. I cant get an efficient flame from it. Always orange fire, and if I turn it up too high, the whole base fills with fire...like a continuous flashback :P Plus, you have to use the basket with the metal flue around the base with it...since without it, the flame goes out so far its UNDER the firebox, rather than up through the hole in the middle.

It sure would be cool if Dennis could cast in some sort of line for a gas ignition option. A quick release on the outside, and a removable ignition wand that connected to the inside. wouldnt need to be many BTU, just a good steady flame for ignition.

For those of you that have a weed burner...how long do you have to stand out there and shoot the fire to get enogh of a burn going?

i like my chimney :P

Re: I might have to go this route, too

I would love to explore this if anybody has an idea..

Possibly a SStube with a spring loaded door that some kind of piezzio starter equipped tube slips into...

:idea::idea:

Re: Grill design mod from forum feedback

Why not just modify the cigarette lighter plug for the guru port? Have a gas ignitor plug and a sealing plug?

For all that, if the ignitor can take the heat, just have a stainless cap over the burner jet of the ignitor, so you could leave it in there? The cap would keep the ashes from falling in it.

Why not just modify the cigarette lighter plug for the guru port? Have a gas ignitor plug and a sealing plug?

For all that, if the ignitor can take the heat, just have a stainless cap over the burner jet of the ignitor, so you could leave it in there? The cap would keep the ashes from falling in it.

It needs to light the charcoal from the top of the basket for low and slow cooks..

Something removable that is inserted at an angle from just above the firebox into the center of the charcoal basket...

Okay, how about still using the guru port, and extending the ignitor with a vertical shaft? The ignitor sticks up through the basket of lump, and can just stay there. Have a quick release on the outside to disconnect gas line in case of heat.

If you want to get really crafty, you could have a sleeve on the vertical portion that slid down to expose more or fewer jets - so you could ignite a whole column of lump or just a spot on top if you slid the sleeve up to cover the lower jets?

The guru port adds backwards compatibility with all the old grills.

The handheld torch is WAY easy to use to light the lump, so anything you add has to be easier than even that. To me, that means it needs to be something that can stay in the grill. If I have to go and disconnect something, especially something HOT, i may as well just use the torch because its easier. Now, if there was a push button ignition that was always in place, that would be pretty cool.

Maybe use the vertical shaft idea, but built into the floor of the cooker? You could thread the shaft so people who dont want to use it could remove it, and others could leave it in place. I always pour my lump into the grill, never in the basket outside of the grill, so you just fill your charcoal as usual, and press a button to make fire on the silver spike that sticks up in the basket.

Okay, how about still using the guru port, and extending the ignitor with a vertical shaft? The ignitor sticks up through the basket of lump, and can just stay there. Have a quick release on the outside to disconnect gas line in case of heat.

If you want to get really crafty, you could have a sleeve on the vertical portion that slid down to expose more or fewer jets - so you could ignite a whole column of lump or just a spot on top if you slid the sleeve up to cover the lower jets?

The guru port adds backwards compatibility with all the old grills.

The handheld torch is WAY easy to use to light the lump, so anything you add has to be easier than even that. To me, that means it needs to be something that can stay in the grill. If I have to go and disconnect something, especially something HOT, i may as well just use the torch because its easier. Now, if there was a push button ignition that was always in place, that would be pretty cool.

Maybe use the vertical shaft idea, but built into the floor of the cooker? You could thread the shaft so people who dont want to use it could remove it, and others could leave it in place. I always pour my lump into the grill, never in the basket outside of the grill, so you just fill your charcoal as usual, and press a button to make fire on the silver spike that sticks up in the basket.

I'm not sure if the piezo electric starter or the cable feeding it could withstand the high temps the charcoal basket hits or how long it would last before getting toasted..

Maybe just a vertical shaft that you would light with a long fireplace lighter.. but I sure like the idea of the starter. I think Webber has a charcoal burning model with a starter..

I think Webber has a charcoal burning model with a starter..

It is called the Performer, and comes with or without the "Touch and Go" ignition system.

Their gas ignition is basically a horizontal tube into the grill, right under the charcoal grate. Its permanently attached. The tube has a venturi and spark outside the grill, only the fire goes into the cooking vessel.

[bBvideo 425,350:34fj2bps]

[/bBvideo:34fj2bps]

clean4.jpg

clean5.jpg

Personally, I'd be thrilled to have a gas ignition built in, even under the charcoal. I grill far more frequently than low/slow. BTW, I lit my POSK from under the basket, using the gas, every single time, low and slow or not. Never had an issue.

Charcoal chimney, piece of brown paper bag or newspaper, a match, good fire in eight minutes.

No rusty ugly tanks on the porch, no regulators, no hoses, no potentially leaky connections, no valves, no piezoelectrics that always fail (eventually), no lugging tanks to get refills, no KK redesign.

But, everybody wants to roll their own way...

Gas fire starting does have a certain intellectual and /or emotional appeal.

It's funny, too. The reason I HAVE a KK is because of investigating a charcoal grill with a gas fire starter! I went down to look at the Weber charcoal grill with the gas starter, and the guy there showed me a Big Green Egg. I never saw a ceramic grill before.It piqued my curiosity. And I thought the BGE was expensive!!! After a long and winding internet journey I wound up with the KK out back.

And a charcoal chimney.