Flyboy

Hi Everyone...Just ordered my KK...

Hi Everyone...just ordered my new Cobalt Blue Gen II after a nice chat with Dennis...what a refreshing breath of air after many struggles with RJ and the K world. I am so excited to join the KK family and look forward to learning all about the KK from you all...I'm a retired Navy test pilot who bbq's 4-5 times a week...I enjoy fly fishing and Corvettes (Yellow 2006 C6). I look forward to hearing from everyone... ;)

Thanks for the Welcome

K tales are legendary and mine are probably not unique at all...

Hope to coordinate the KK delivery tomorrow and will have a PB slow cooking by Friday afternoon for a Saturday Bday celebration for my daughter.

I've thrown bugs at alot of fish but never a tarpon...Looks like it could be fun though. I love to go after steelhead on the Rogue in OR and trout/bass where ever the opportunity comes up.

As for airplanes, wish I did own one...My flying was all in the Navy. Nearly a hundred carrier landings and three years as a test pilot are the highlights. Those were the days...

Hello, Everyone! Yesterday, I put in my order for the Grey KK coming to the USA on Saturday. I can't wait.

As an aside, I didn't realize how lucky I've been, until I found KK and have been doing research for the last few weeks. You see, I ordered a tiled K several (maybe 6) years ago. Although not in the same class, quality wise, as the KK. I have been lucky and had no problems. Sure, it has leaks around both dampers and the lid joint, but I have lost no tiles and it is still in one piece. Although occasionally cooking a pork shoulder, or other low and slow, I'm usually searing steaks at 700 to 900 degrees. I tried, a couple of months ago, to order another K. Fortunately, I couldn't get anyone on the telephone. Lucky, huh?

I'm putting the KK at a beach house we're building at Cape San Blas, Florida. I'm really looking forward to using it! :)

Welcome

I had two experiences with Navy pilots. First during my U-2 days out of Laughlin AFB (1957-1961) one of my buddies flew a U-2 down to Corpus and they put it on a Carrier, which he then went out to the gulf and took it off with out the sling shot. Later in the late 68 or so Lockheed had modified a U-2 with a tail hook, the Lockheed test pilot went to Norfolk, VA and landed on a carry and also did takeoffs without a sling shot. I don't think the Navy flew any missions with a modified U-2. After U-2 I flew F4D in Vietnam (71-72) for 179 missions out of Ubon Royal Thai Air Base. We had special D Band Loran System that allowed us to drop from 25,000' straight & level with great accuracy. One time I dropped my 16- 500# bomb load, and the ABCP sent me to the Tanker to refuel because they were sending 4 Navy A-7's for me to lead to a Loran target for them to get rid of their bombs because their assigned target was WX in. It all worked out and after they dropped their Bombs I said to them: "Does that make you feel like B52's" They gave me the finger.....Welcome.

Very interesting story about the U2s and carriers...I also heard that there have been some C130 carrier operations...probably in support of the SEALs or other black ops. Ahh...the F4, what a plane...I got a chance to fly one at Edwards during my Testpilot days. We (group of Navy TPs) were visiting the AF TP school there. Definitely a ride to remember.

I only flew in the Navy the last 12 yrs of my career...The first 8 were in Nuclear Submarines. I was a Reactor Operator. I qualified on the Nautilus prototype in Idaho and spent time there as an instructor and them on USS Francis Scott Key SSBN 657. Following that stint, I got into a commissioning program that led to a regular commission as a Naval Line Officer and that's when I started flying. I had tours flying C1's on/off West Coast carriers out of North Island, P3's out of Barbers Pt Hawaii and then I went to Test Pilot school in Pax River, Md. I enjoyed it all, with the tour at Pax River the highlight for sure. During my P3 flying in the '79-'81 time frame I visited all the garden spots in SW and SE Asia including Mogodishu, Djbouti, Oman, Mombossa, Ceylon, Bangkok, Pattaya Beach, Singapore, Perth, Hong Kong, Cubi Point, Guam, Diego Garcia, Kwajelin and probably a few more I've forgotten...

F4D

The Navy did not have any spin tests flown on the development of the F4. A young Captain (USAF) flew The spin tests in 1970-71 at Edwards AFB. Before they got the special parachute attached to the tail right; he had to bail out 3 times. He proved there was no way to get the F4 out of a spin even the inverted one it liked to get into. He was Jerry Gentry and was a Major flight commander in my Squadron during Vietnam War. The Air Force said after several crashes to due the spin tests.