Majestik

Spatchcock Please

mike,

I dont have a specific recipe, your favorite seasonings/marinade/brine will be fine. Spatchcocking is a technique, where you remove the backbone of a whole bird so it will lay flat.

Whiz has you covered:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

simple recipe:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes ... hcock.html

video of how to spatchcock:

http://home.comcast.net/~ask-the-butcher/sp.wmv

i don't really like spatchcock'n chickens. i break them down to eatin' pieces and i've never noticed a difference in juiciness. anymore, any chicken cheap enough for me to buy already has "12% broth added" :x which is ok, i guess. always comes out good, but it doesn't give me a chance to do my own brining...

ALTHO, once i get my KK i might consider saving up for a rotis...

natural chicken

If you have a BJs, their entire chicken selection is the purdue naturally fresh stuff. Minimally processed no additions, and under 3% retained water. $.79/lb for the whole birds.

I mention this because its almost impossible to find uninjected meats anywhere else, unless you pay a pretty large premium for them.

Re: natural chicken

If you have a BJs' date=' their entire chicken selection is the purdue naturally fresh stuff. Minimally processed no additions, and under 3% retained water. $.79/lb for the whole birds.[/quote']

I picked up a couple of those this weekend... BJs produce has been hit and miss (a lot of spoilage) but their butchery has been very good to me.

I did one of those birds as a beer-butt on sunday... It has been almost 2 years since I've done one of those... it was amazing. I forgot how sweet and succulent they are. Sigh.

:P

Re: natural chicken

I did one of those birds as a beer-butt on sunday... It has been almost 2 years since I've done one of those... it was amazing. I forgot how sweet and succulent they are. Sigh.

:P

Gawd, not another beer-butt chicken fan :( Thought your type was extinct but I forgot you've been out of commission for a while. That fad is soooo yesterday. But in its day, Chicken on the Throne was the greatest yuck yuck product since the sneaker phone.

while not a huge beer-butt fan, i'm not a detractor either :D have you tried brining? brining pieces or whole chickens accomplish many of the same things steaming it from the cavity does; reduces cooking time, produces juicy meat, and gets the flavor as deep into the meat as injecting.

problem is anymore, cant get chickens that aren't "enhanced", which is just stupid! you can't brine an "enhanced" bird; already got salt in there.

reason i'm not a beer butt fan; i don't like whole chicken in general. i like parts. that's hands-on eating, not fork and knife eating. cutting a spatch'd bird or whole into parts makes even more mess, and the escaping juices get the skin soggy. i like crispy chicken skin. if KFC sold just buckets of fried chicken skin, i'd be in line right now!

and i vote you DONT boil that chicken!! unless you're making soup.