DennisLinkletter

Indonesian Prime Rib

This is the Indonesian version of Prime Rib..

They cut the ribs off.. Go figure..

Rubbed them down one hot one not and bagged them overnight.

Put them in with a lil' baby back indirect at 250º with lots of hickory chunks...

Pulled them off at 120º and wrapped them in foil and towels..

They were very rare, and I thought great but nobody else wanted to eat it.

Put it back on until it hit 155º pulled it out, rested 20 minutes and was great.

Everybody still thought it was a bit red (asians don't like rare) but did not think it tasted bloody..

First time I've liked local beef!

KKforumA.jpg

PrimeRib.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Answers..

A while back you posted a pic of some ribs that you did and you had a really cool rib rack. Are you going to produce those for sale?

I'm in the process of updating my packages that come with the Komodos.

There will be lots of nice lil' goodies including a rib rack.

So what color did you go with for the house, Bud? Food looks good, it is about time you got around to some cookin' and pics - hehe!!

-=Jasen=-

I went with the Dark Terra Blue.. The Dark is still menacing and macho considering how pretty it is... :lol::lol: I really like the new matt tiles but best to ship/sell them.. I have terra's in stock. One of the benefits of this venture is that I always have the newest, baddest Komodo to cook on :lol:

Looks done to me...perfect. Was that pic the first or second time off the grill :?:

That was the second time at 155º. The next day the meat barely had a pink tint but was still reasonably tender and VERY tasty (and spicy).. I'm going to go shopping for one of those round bladed meat slicers.. Time to start eating BBQ samies again.. :wink::wink:

Re: prime rib

Enlighten me Dennis. What's up with wrapping in towels? You wrapped them in foil first than towels? Wet towels? I assume purpose is to retain moisture?
The wrapping in towels is so the meat stays warm during the post-cook rest. Towels (dry) are extra insulation. Some wrap in foil and towels and put the meat in a cooler (no ice, of course). Sad to have perfectly done, cold steak, unless that's what you're going for.

:)

Re: prime rib

Enlighten me Dennis. What's up with wrapping in towels? You wrapped them in foil first than towels? Wet towels? I assume purpose is to retain moisture?

Actually wet towels would probably negate some of the intended effects of wrapping them in towels to begin with - reduce thermal loss (and wetting the towels greatly increases thermal conduction and reduces insulation). A lot of people pull food early (or not early) and allow it to continue to cook during it's rest period since the internal temp will continue to rise while the hotter exterior cools (if you cut into the meat hot off the grill, you will loose a lot of the juices). I do it a lot of times to ribs or boston butt when I am not eating them right away.

-=Jasen=-

Argh, Sanny beat me to the submit button - hehehe!

Its common when pulling meat form the grill to wrap it in foil to let it rest, and redistribute the juices. If you were to cut it immediately, much of the juice runs out all over the plate.

Depending on how long you want to hold the meat before serving, you can also wrap it in a towel - after wrapping it in foil - to help it stay warm. Consider it a blanket for your meat. Its not uncommon to remove a pork shoulder from the grill, wrap it in foil, and towels, and place it in a cooler for up to several hours before pulling it.

Edit: Make that a tri-fecta of an answer...at least we all concur :D

Anyone ....

I'd like to try a prime rib (bone in probably) can anyone give me an idea of how long the cook time will be/should be. It will be a small PR maybe 4 or 5 ribs max. I'm not sure what that would be weight wise. Also what's the best temp?

thanks in advance for the help

jb

Just so happens I was watching a Good Eats episode last night where Alton was cooking prime rib. He also brought up a point I had mentioned a week or so ago (look at internal temps and do not go by times). While it is nice to have an estimate on time per pound, it is just not accurate since there are too many additional factors that play a role in cook times (meat shape, fat to muscle density, cooking devices/methods to name a few). Basically he cooked at a medium temp till within 10 degrees of his desired temp. Took it out and rested till the temp climbed no more. Then browned the outside at high temps. You can probably find the exact temps he used on the Food Network web with a search for his show and prime rib.

-=Jasen=-

Prime Rib

This was based on an article in Cooks Illustrated, basically buy good quality PR, take it out of the package, and onto a plate with some paper towels.. put it in the fridge for a week, uncovered.

It will get a bit of a crust on it from the air movement in the fridge. Take it out and with a very sharp knife skin off the hardened layer.

This is dry aging, a process most commercial butchers won't do because you lose "hanging" weight doing so. But it gives it a deep, rich, buttery flavor and a great texture. Well worth doing.. Trust me on this one!

Take a cast iron pan, get it smoking hot and sear the roast on all sides.. I put a little oil on the roast, as well as some kitchen magic (makes it look brown and adds a lil flavor).

The whole point of the sear it to make the roast look dark brown, and more flavorful to the naked eyeball.

Get your oven (or even better, your cooker) to 220-225 or so, and put the roast in until you get your internal temp you want. I like it at 135 or so, then pull it out and tent it with foil and let rest 20 minutes or so.

Because of the very low roasting temp, your prime will largely be the same throughout, as opposed to well done/dry on the ends.. and maybe rare (hopefully) tender center... Choose your guests carefully.. The words "well done" mentioned here, is usually the ticket to not getting invited next time :lol:

Hope this helps!

Resting your meat

:lol: Now I am talking about from the cooker, you guys... Sheesh...

Here is what Cooks Illustrated said about resting ... Sounds good to me!

A final but very important step when cooking all red meat is allowing it to rest after it comes off the heat. As the proteins in the meat heat up during cooking they coagulate, which basically means they uncoil and then reconnect in a different configuration. When the proteins coagulate, they squeeze out part of the liquid that was trapped in their coiled structures and in the spaces between the individual molecules. The heat from the cooking source drives these freed liquids toward the center of the meat.

This process of coagulation explains why experienced chefs can determine the "doneness" of a piece of meat is by pushing on it and judging the amount of resistance: the firmer the meat, the more done it is. But the coagulation process is apparently at least partly reversible, so as you allow the meat to rest and return to a lower temperature after cooking, some of the liquid is reabsorbed by the protein molecules as their capacity to hold moisture increases. As a result, if given a chance to rest, the meat will lose less juice when you cut into it, which in turn makes for much juicier and more tender meat.