DennisLinkletter

Rod Direction on Grates ~ Mockup

Best rod direction for grates  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which direction do you prefer?

• Left to Right
    • Front to Rear
    • Does not matter..

We've discussed this years ago but recently received this email..

"I think if the SS bars, apart of at least the two larger grates on my 23" KK, were oriented 90 degrees from how they are now it would offer even better performance; notably when grilling things that need to be flipped with a spatula.  So in other words the grill grate bars would run front to back of the KK instead of left/right.  This would also be a little easier for scrubbing the grates..."

this email..

So last time I was at the factory we welded up a lil' jig and made this up.. Making up the 27 shorts for the door would have been a nightmare so maybe this is a good solution..

I like the original grate for cosmetic reasons.. if I need a different spatula angle of attack I just walk to the side of the grill and scoop in from the front.. 

Whatcha all think?

post-2-0-12158100-1422555935_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-76490500-1422555936_thumb.jpg

I had the same question when looking at getting a KK grill. Since I have had one, in practice the side-to-side orientation is really not an issue when flipping.

Scrubbing is easier going side to side, since that’s the long axis, which means less passes with your scrubbing tool.

Would it be possible to make a grate where the bars run front to back, and the hatch for the door is on the side, so you don’t have the mismatch in direction? Or maybe offer a grate with front to back bars without a door as an option?

• Like 1

Would it be possible to make a grate where the bars run front to back, and the hatch for the door is on the side, so you don’t have the mismatch in direction? Or maybe offer a grate with front to back bars without a door as an option?

We can make up anything even a matching front to back front door. just LOTS of work cutting and grinding all those ends.. Stainless is very hard and a pain to work with. As you know I cut and grind every rod to match the grill's shape.. 

Nobody does this.. all grill manufacturers just cut them at a 90º

The side door will be problematic because of the handles..

Like the front to back.  And like and use the door on the two larger grates for longer sessions and/or keeping my KK at 700-800*F dome for my Neapolitan pizza pie bakes.

As always, and regardless of the outcome, a big thank you for considering our input Dennis!

My 2 cents.

I do use the door on occasion, so I'd vote to keep that. Dennis, the handle interference problem with the side orientation that Wilburpan proposes could be solved by having a stationary rod (or 2) next to the handle to provide clearance, then start the door 2 or 3 rows in from the side. But, again, I see nothing wrong with the mixed direction version you proposed. I think Wilburpan's door orientation makes more sense on the 32" KK than the 23" model. 

The way my grill sits in the corner of my deck, I'd like the North/South orientation for cleaning purposes. Attacking from the sides works, but isn't ideal. As far as using a spatula is concerned, I've never had an issue with the current East/West orientation causing a problem. 

So, the summation is - toss up! I'm OK with the current design, but can understand that the mixed orientation version would have some benefits, especially in the Big Bad 32. 

Dennis - I've never given this a second thought. In fact, I like the side to side, left to right, orientation. I have also used the lift gate on about 15-20% of my cooks. The side to side orientation makes cleaning grates a breeze and much more efficient. My vote is keep what you've got.

Agree completely. I'm good with the original design. I do actually use the doors to add wood after getting to temp.

• Like 1