mk1

Anova discount code

I think the last time I did chicken breasts I just sprinkled in garlic granules, some pepper and a sprig of rosemary and sous vide at 140 F for 3 hour, if you are busy and they go 4 hours no problem. Fresh garlic is not something you want to sous vide but granulated works fine. Steak is fantastic and I'd do that next. I hope you have a read up on the proper method for example once the chicken or whatever is done and you take it out of the bath if you are not going to eat immediately it should go directly into an ice bath. You don't want to give those anaerobic bacteria a perfect place to grow. Single layer the chicken breasts that way the heat will get to the interior of the meat quicker, you don't want to stack them on top of each other, lay them side by side. Don't be shocked by the paleness when they come out of the bag, slice a bit off and close your eyes and taste. You will very soon get over the appearance of the outside. Very important, save the bag juices, they are awesome.

I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the tip on the garlic. I've read a bunch of steak recipes and they all seem to sear the meat before, after, or both. Is it common to do this with chicken? Maybe 30 seconds each side on a hot grill.

post-249-0-33663200-1431186684_thumb.jpg

(Maillard reaction)

I have several Anova Ones; they're better than any system I've used before.

No one gets excited about basic cooking steps like incrementally better vegetables, but sous vide excels here. I'm having a Moroccan beet salad as I read this, for breakfast. Peel and cube beets, sous vide 75 minutes at 85 C, chill in the bag, then prepare as you like. Same with potatoes, later pan-fry in ghee over searing heat. 85 C is the threshold at which vegetables cook, and this method locks in flavor without introducing additional moisture (alas, also without removing any moisture).

Thomas Keller prefers to flash-cook green vegetables in a giant pot of boiling salt water, then flash-chill in ice water, to preserve the color. I like the drab color of Italian well-cooked vegetables, and I'm not running a restaurant, so I'll even sous vide green vegetables at 85 C. I do also love Keller's big pot approach.

For a related step at a lower temperature,

http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-labs-apple-pie-part-2-how-to-make-perfect-apple-pie-filling.html

Sous vide apple pie filling is an interesting idea. The basic idea of an apple pie is fraught with peril, but people get it to work pretty well, accepting the limitations of the method the way we accept so many quirks of life. And a basic homemade apple pie is pretty far up the food chain from simply buying one at the supermarket; I commend anyone who goes this far. Nevertheless, the simplest fix here is to confront the reality that having raw apples tag along for the ride is the source of all troubles with apple pie. A sous vide filling is one solution; we found ourselves just wanting to eat the filling, skip making the pie.

We're also partial to French galette, where one cooks the filling first in a skillet. That has the advantage of abusing and reducing the apples a bit. Maillard reaction, yada yada, the "epoxy B" to building flavor when sous vide is a step.

In a nutshell, this is the crux issue with sous-vide. It is simply a step, that cooks an ingredient with minimal fuss. If the ingredient is fantastic, the result will be fantastic. If the ingredient is drab, the result will be drab. Nowhere to hide here.

post-249-0-97487600-1431191326_thumb.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001MRUKA/

http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-SFC12453-Polyethylene-Covers-Blue/dp/B001E0HRVK/

A 12 quart polycarbonate Cambro makes a nice water bath. Polycarbonate can take the heat, and insulates much better than a metal pot. Cut a corner out of the lid, to reduce evaporation.

We've moved ours to on top of the dryer. Keeps heat and noise out of the kitchen.

This rig is also awesome for defrosting vacuum-packed food. Just set the target temperature to 0 C. The heater will never turn on, but the circulating pump will speed the defrost along.

(The metal grid is left over from a Sous Vide Supreme that we donated to Good Will. We were clearly never going to use it again, but I saved some hardware.)