EGGARY

Pork Belly

Bacon Adobo aka Bacon Candy (whole, preferably with skin on).   Made it a few weeks ago.  Betcha can't eat just one cube  :D

Pork Belly Confit (whole).  

Fresh side of pork (slice about 1/4" thick and very slowly render it...adding smoked salt, smoked paprika towards the end...excellent with eggs in the morning).  They key is to render it SLOWLY otherwise you better have good chompers :D

post-1238-0-05005300-1434841454_thumb.jp

Porchetta is like the ultimate in porky goodness. Awesome looking piggy!

I've tried making it twice, with mixed success. First one was a pre-made version from Trader Joes, which came out pretty good. Then I tackled one from scratch with skin-on pork belly. While the roast came out super yummy, the skin didn't get crunchy/crispy like it was supposed to. More like pork taffy, ha, ha! Did something fundamentally wrong. May try again one day. 

• Like 1

I've tried making it twice, with mixed success. First one was a pre-made version from Trader Joes, which came out pretty good. Then I tackled one from scratch with skin-on pork belly. While the roast came out super yummy, the skin didn't get crunchy/crispy like it was supposed to. More like pork taffy, ha, ha! Did something fundamentally wrong. May try again one day. 

May be this can help.

Loquitur

I couldn't get crispy skin on a KK chicken:

Until I started putting it in the frig, uncovered, the night before cooking.

Then cooking it direct, high in the dome, at a temp over 400.

(I don't open the lid until I'm ready to take it off and it comes out perfect for me this way)

I don't think a couple of hours in the frig is enough to help much:

(If you do it overnight, you will definitely see a difference in the texture of the skin while its still raw)

(it looks weird but it comes out great)

I have also heard of people putting a very light dusting of cornstarch on the skin before cooking.

( but I have not tried that)

mguerra

Re: Crispy Skin Be sure to cook chicken direct, not with a heat deflector. Indirect yields rubbery skin.

Syzygies

Re: Crispy Skin Nice idea, it reminds me of letting salmon develop a "pelicure" in the fridge after brining. I've tried the hairdryer approach with mixed success (it helps e.g. deep-fried Thai duck), I'll have to try this. We prefer our chicken at 500 F for half an hour, direct main grill over well-developed coals, after

a light brine.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/12/the-food-lab-ultra-crisp-skinned-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder.html

I've tried making it twice, with mixed success. First one was a pre-made version from Trader Joes, which came out pretty good. Then I tackled one from scratch with skin-on pork belly. While the roast came out super yummy, the skin didn't get crunchy/crispy like it was supposed to. More like pork taffy, ha, ha! Did something fundamentally wrong. May try again one day. [/quote

Roll it and dust with baking powder and salt (the Wilbur method). Baste with the rendered fat every 30 minutes. Increase heat to 400 until the skin crisps. You can see on the 2nd picture the skin has bubbled and crisped. Outside crispy like a chip and inside could be eaten with a spoon.

I thought I posted the recipe, but will if I haven't.