DennisLinkletter

Grill Stone - Cleaning Blocks?

I have a couple but don't have the stainless steel grates. ;) I have used them on enameled grates and they certainly clean. There is a fine powder left behind sort of like sanding a piece of wood but the powder is from the stone. I just brush that away. I really want to try it on the stainless steel grates where you can really see how clean it gets.

I have been through a couple of them now.

They wear pretty quick but make it look nice and clean. Like MacKenzie mentioned they do leave a fine powder that i normally clean off with a rag and then olive oil the grates.

But they are good. 

This may be cheap of me but instead of buying the Grillfloss or Billybar I am using a 3/8" open end wrench. The wrench fits the grill perfectly and scrapes the rods nice and clean.

I prefer to think of it not as being cheap, but more as finding a cost effective solution with a repurpose thrown in for good measure! :lol:

How much did you pay for your grill?

Robert

Don't forget he's got another one coming just like the one he has. They will be twins with a teak top between the two. :) Just wait until we see that:) It should be awesome:) Maybe we can chip in and get him the Grill Floss;)

How much did you pay for your grill?😂😂

Robert

I'm selectively cheap...lol.

Don't forget he's got another one coming just like the one he has. They will be twins with a teak top between the two. :) Just wait until we see that:) It should be awesome:) Maybe we can chip in and get him the Grill Floss;)

Thanks MacKenzie I my take you up on the grill floss offer.

But here is the wrenchpost-2313-0-43760300-1437268309_thumb.jp. It does work well it fits the rods perfectly.

Tinyfish, I just may have to check this out, we'll make it the Canadian Grill Cleaner, just might be able to get Elaine to join in too, then we'll all across Canada:)

I had read somewhere to use a open end wrench so I thought I would try it before I ordered the the Grill Floss.

Almost Monday. ......delivery day.

Quite by accident I discovered that one can buy very coarse, fat cleaning scrubbies in the painting aisle of a hardware or box store. The ones I got are so fat (drum roll... ??) that they squeeze nicely between the grates. For scrubbing a grate in a metal water heater catch pan, these are ideal.

I do also love my grill floss. It's bending around on me, may be time to see which size wrench...

51Wgk%2BI6bYL._SY355_.jpg

The cleaning pads I like best so far are 3M Heavy Duty Stripping Pads:

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Stripping-Pads-No/dp/B001B58CRQ

Above is an Amazon link. In practice, they're available with painting supplies in many hardware stores. If you ask for them by exact name, staff might know what you're talking about. I've been reduced to staring at the "prep" section of the painting aisles.

These aren't heat-proof, so I generally use them while soaking a grill in a metal water heater pan with the exit hole blocked (improvise; there are many ways to do this; I screwed together some plastic parts). They're coarse and thick, stiff enough to clean nicely between the grates of a KK; they might not fit between the grates of a lesser brand grill. My practice is to do a rough clean in place with the Grill Floss metal tool, then soak and clean more carefully in my wading pool replacement. (Wading pools also work.)

• Like 1

As a homebrewer, I have to thoroughly clean my gear when I'm done making a batch of brew. Powdered Brewers Wash (PBW) is what most of us use. Works great on baked-on foods and grease, too. I've cleaned my drip pan and cooktop with it, but not the grill grates (yet). After soaking for 30 minutes to an hour, just about everything comes off with just a wipe, no heavy scrubbing. (I'm lazy, so this is my solution!) It's a tad expensive, but you don't use a whole lot - 1 oz per gal of warm water. (If what you're wanting to clean is seriously gunked up, it will take 2 - 4 oz/gal and longer soaking.) Any homebrewer supply shop will carry it, if you have one in your area. It's also available from every on-line brew supplier, too, but you're likely to have to pay shipping. Amazon has it, too (Prime available). Here's a link to the small sample size package. 

http://www.amazon.com/PBW-Five-Star--2-oz/dp/B006O2E5X6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437845610&sr=8-2&keywords=powdered+brewers+wash

It also comes in 1 lb and 4 lb containers.

• Like 1

As a homebrewer, I have to thoroughly clean my gear when I'm done making a batch of brew. Powdered Brewers Wash (PBW) is what most of us use. Works great on baked-on foods and grease, too. I've cleaned my drip pan and cooktop with it, but not the grill grates (yet). After soaking for 30 minutes to an hour, just about everything comes off with just a wipe, no heavy scrubbing. (I'm lazy, so this is my solution!) It's a tad expensive, but you don't use a whole lot - 1 oz per gal of warm water. (If what you're wanting to clean is seriously gunked up, it will take 2 - 4 oz/gal and longer soaking.) Any homebrewer supply shop will carry it, if you have one in your area. It's also available from every on-line brew supplier, too, but you're likely to have to pay shipping. Amazon has it, too (Prime available). Here's a link to the small sample size package.

http://www.amazon.com/PBW-Five-Star--2-oz/dp/B006O2E5X6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1437845610&sr=8-2&keywords=powdered+brewers+wash

It also comes in 1 lb and 4 lb containers.

+1 on the PBW, if you have it, it can't be beat!

Another similar, but less powerful option is oxyclean, you will use more, it takes longer, generally overnight, but similar results to PBW.