Poochie

BBQ Controller

How many of you are using a CyberQ, DigiQ, or Stoker on your KK.  Any other brand maybe? I used to have a PitMaster IQ for a Weber Smoky Mountain and it worked like a champ. No real features to brag about, but a good basic temp controller.  Now they do everything but bring the meat in and slice it for you.  

Pro's and con's of what you're using would be appreciated.

I currently have a Pitmaster IQ120 that I use on my Broil King Keg - I will be using it on my new KK.  It works as expected on my Keg, so with the KK and it's far greater thermal mass, I can't see why it would not work as good/better.  Just need to come up with some compatible adapter to the air intake...which should not be that much a problem.

To be blunt, all these BBQ pit/temp controllers are just versions of the same thing - PID voltage controllers with somewhat similar programs that control an output voltage - some of them have a built in fan, some control en external fan, some just control a 120//240 outlet etc....but in the end...they all pretty well do the exact same thing.

The "random" variables (wind, airflow, fire, charcoal etc) of a fire-pit are far,far more variable and random than any program someone can put into a PID controller.

i.e.  End result - I can't see any one brand being any better than any other.   How air-tight and heat-soaked will be far-and-away a bigger factor.

Pitmaster IQ120 -

The Komodo Kamado eliminates the need for these type units.

I use a temp probe from Walt Mart, less than $15, that lets me monitor temp from up to 100 ft away.

By knowing how to use the vents properly the temp is controlled wherever one wants it and for way longer than you will ever need. All without opening the top..

Well that is the way mine works. Proud owner of a 23" Komodo Kamado. You have made a outstanding decision. Looking forward to your cooks.

Talk with Dennis about what all your unit can do. You will be amazed at what goes into Komodo Kamado.

Note:

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment_reviews/1599-pitmaster-iq

When I had the Pitmaster IQ, I used it for about 5% of the cooks I did. It's those overnighters that beg for one of these units. You can stabilize a pit and go to bed knowing that it's humming along at 250 or whatever, but I guarantee you'll wake up early and run outside to see "if everything is alright." I don't have to have one, but I can see using it for those 5% overnight cooks or cooks you need to leave for whatever reason. Thanks for the input guys. DigiQ looks nice without the wifi stuff tacked on. 

I, like Robert, have the CyberQ and it's a quality piece of hardware. I bought it to do turkeys for my church last Thanksgiving. It was insurance. I use it on just about every low-n-slow cook that I do at this point. The CyberQ was literally plug and play out of the box. Easy peasy and that's the way I like it!

That said, I could get along without it just fine. The temperature stability of the KK is such that a temp controller is really just a nice adjunct to my KKs and their cooks.

Good to hear that you don't  have to do a lot on tweaking with internet and router settings with the CyberQ, CC. I really hate messing with that stuff. If it's really plug and play, I'm all for it. My wifi signal is not the best in my shop where the KK will live. I'm hoping that doesn't affect it.

Poochie, where in your house, relative to your shop is your router? I guess I'm asking if you could possibly put a wi fi booster in you house closer to your shop. Putting a booster in your shop won't help because a booster is only as good as the signal it recieves.

Robert

• Like 1

If you consider yourself an electronics hobbyist, it's worth checking out the HeaterMeter open source project. A complete unit is under $150 (plus probes), plus your time and energy to build it. A thermocouple for the pit temp, three meat probes, built in web server, and full control of the programming are some of the highlights.

The development team is very active on this forum.

http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?85-HeaterMeter-DIY-BBQ-Controller

BBG800-0000-001-2.jpg

I gave away my first over-featured BBQ Guru, and used a Pitminder till it died. It had exactly what I wanted, a manual "rotary phone" oven dial. When it died, it had long been discontinued, and I didn't like anything I saw available, and went two years without. I had some big cooks this summer, so I bought a DigiQ DX2: https://www.bbqguru.com/StoreNav?CategoryId=1&ProductId=22

They've had a bit of trouble with too thick a powder coat on the case, causing the control buttons to push inward under a hot sun, and activate on their own. In my case, it set my target pit temp to zero, which I suppose is better than 450 F. I exchanged it (outstanding technical support) and I've had no further trouble. In principle, one voids the warranty by opening the unit, but it's held together by one easily removed screw; if I had a major cook on the line I'd open it again, sand the holes clean, and ask for warranty service anyways.

I'd buy this exact unit again. The WiFi has a definite appeal, but I like simplicity. I like that it fits the guru port on my KK, and I like that it runs on 12V not 5V, matching the needs of the LED lighting over our eating area. It was extremely helpful, stabilizing my friend's off-brand K5 while I was out playing.

One doesn't need a controller for a KK. One doesn't need a GPS for a car. The right degree of automation is a personal choice. I had no trouble turning out great barbecue during the two years I was without a controller, and yet I'm very happy to have a controller again.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I'll choose a DigiQ or CyberQ vs a Stoker. Seems like the Stoker is more complicated from the reviews I've read.  Like I said, the controller won't be a way of life, it'll be for those overnighters and when I have to put something on the KK and leave for a while. 

Late to the party, but I've owned my DigiQ-II for quite some time now. Bought it originally for the POSK, which definitely needed it for long overnight cooks. The KK is a lot more stable, but as others have said, I like the security blanket of using it on long cooks. Didn't need/want the WiFi version or one with a smartphone app. 

One bit of advice, FWIW - the Guru's have a damper on the outlet of the fan that is a good thing to have on a windy day. The wind blowing across the top hat will draw air into the KK even if the fan isn't running and will cause your temps to continue to go up. Once your temperature edges above the setpoint, the Guru (or any other device) can't bring the temperature back down - it just stops running the fan. So, having the damper to choke down on the airflow on windy days comes in quite handy.

• Like 1