tinyfish

A whole pile of ribs

Today was rib cook day. I cooked 6 racks of baby backs and 1 rack of St. Louis cut side ribs. I rubbed the ribs in Eat Barbeque sweet rub and heat soaked the KK at 225f for two hours. I used peach and sugar maple for smoke. I was expecting the ribs to take five hours but Wilburpan's friend Murphy stopped by and delayed everything. The baby backs were thicker then normal and needed an hour more.

post-2313-0-85578100-1438544637_thumb.jp

The KK loaded up

post-2313-0-43597600-1438544713_thumb.jp

And thats it no more pictures. The hour delay messed everything up no cooked shots.

• Like 1

No cooked shots?!?!?! Well, cook some more!!!

Robert

On to brisket tonight. This is my KK's first brisket. I always refill my charcoal basket every cook. For a 15 hour cook plus a couple hour heat soak do I have fill much higher then the charcoal basket and should I use smaller lump pieces or large lump pieces. I don't have access to Cocochar in Canada. I use an Argentina charcoal very dence and huge chunks I break down smaller. After the heat soak should I top up the charcoal before I load the meat.

Don't do anything differently, and use a mix of coal. On the longer cooks, I don't believe a long heat soak is as necessary, and I don't believe topping of is necessary either. Just get it stable, add wood if you're going to, and if you do, let it burn for about 30 mins.

Robert

6-hours for baby backs?!  That's longer than spare ribs typically take.  

Per others tinyfish:  We need the money shots :)

Those were my exact words. These baby backs were a bulk frozen purchase in a sealed box. When I did get to inspect the baby backs they were huge, lots of loin meat left on them. For example my box of baby backs weighed more then my friends St. Louis cut ribs. My box had 16 racks for a total of 47 lbs the St. Louis ribs had 16 racks at 41 lbs. When a buy my ribs fresh I buy the thin ribs no loin meat at all and the smallest racks. My wife even started to wonder so I referred her to bbq rule #1. "Its ready when its ready".

• Like 2

Are you going to wrap that brisket in butcher paper after the stall? Just curious. I've done it once and it worked like a charm.

Yes Poochie. I hunted down some butcher paper this week for the brisket. The brisket is going on at 11pm and I will wrap it in butcher paper when I wake up.