tinyfish

Long weekend Brisket

Seems like this weekend was popular for briskets. I started with a 17.5# Choice brisket and after a good fat trimming I was left with 12.5#.

The brisket was rubbed with Eat Barbeque sweet rub and injected with beef broth, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and a little more rub.

Here is the flat side

post-2313-0-91391500-1438640286_thumb.jp

Now the point side trimmed as much fat as my skill let me...was it the right move?

post-2313-0-38211600-1438640302_thumb.jp

I put the brisket on at 11pm (big storm going on) indirect at 220f. I woke up at 5:30 and wrapped in butcher papper. This is the colour before wrapping

post-2313-0-07740800-1438640320_thumb.jp

Wrapped and back on the grill

post-2313-0-31532200-1438640714_thumb.jp

At 2pm at an internal temp of 198f 15 hours later done. I flipped the brisket over and unwrapped a little to probe. The is the bottom of the brisket.

post-2313-0-80968600-1438640728_thumb.jp

Into a cooler for a three hour rest till dinner ( on schedule Murphy didn't show up). Here is the flat side after I removed the brisket from the cooler. Definitely tender notice the broken off hunk.

post-2313-0-60709900-1438640749_thumb.jp

The point side

post-2313-0-73250900-1438640770_thumb.jp

The flat sliced up

post-2313-0-42102800-1438641085_thumb.jp

I washed the brisket down with a twice baked potatoe, cole slaw, broccoli and mushrooms

post-2313-0-98036500-1438641102_thumb.jp

Up close and personal

post-2313-0-43721100-1438641118_thumb.jp

All said and done a success. The brisket was super tender. I only sliced enough for my serving which was a tad dry but I got no where close to the middle of the flat since I only cut enough for me. There was no harm done using butcher paper I would say its helps to keep the bark at the colour you want. More tests needed.

That cook looks great, never thought of using butcher paper.

I have only foiled after over night run.

but, once i was introduced to the hot-n-fast method of doing Brisket, i have not gone back to the low-n-slow.

Reliable results, always juicy, and also reliable cook time; almost without variance 4.5 hours regardless of brisket size, sometime it creeps to 5 hrs.

it is so much easier and i can run the cook while guests are having refreshments and playing yard games, pool, etc.

That cook looks great, never thought of using butcher paper.

I have only foiled after over night run.

but, once i was introduced to the hot-n-fast method of doing Brisket, i have not gone back to the low-n-slow.

Reliable results, always juicy, and also reliable cook time; almost without variance 4.5 hours regardless of brisket size, sometime it creeps to 5 hrs.

it is so much easier and i can run the cook while guests are having refreshments and playing yard games, pool, etc.

I would also be interested in your set up and cook temps for hot and fast brisket.

So I was a little concerned about the charcoal for this cook. I placed long piece's of charcoal up and down direction in the charcoal basket first, then I added more charcoal on top of that right up to the basket handles and mounded up in the middle. I was very surprised still had tons of charcoal left, basket is still full and then some.

I still have to try the smoker pot for smoke and to see how it fits in when the charcoal basket is filled full. Does the charcoal always burn in the same direction when you light in the center for low and slow. My charcoal seemed to burn from the middle to the back. I was using a fan if that makes a difference.

Tony - I've noticed in TheBeast that the direction of the burn tends to spread from the front, nearest the bottom vent, to the back wall. This makes some sense to me as that is the direction of the airflow because of the natural flow in the KK. That's what it seems to me. I've also noticed that the fire tends to spread out in that direction. This is for the natural airflow through TheBeast.

When I use my CyberQ, i.e. under forced airflow, the burn patter seems to be from the fan port directly across The Beast. Again, the burn pattern seems to fan out somewhat.

prep brisket as usual - nothin different here.

set dome temp to 350f

use temp probe for meat

run til internal hits 160f (~2hrs duration)

put into foil or foil pan - pour 1/2 cup beef broth into it

cover

back on grill @350f

run for 2.5 hours more

check internal temp - target = 190.

Re: Butts:

nope, i do the butts low-n-slow all the time - tried one fast and it came out tough.

besides teh pork butt is way easy to cook low-n-slow, not near as finicky as the brisket in that setup;