ckreef

Backyard Bistro New Ceramic Grill

Didn't know where to post this but I am doing some cooking.

Nope not a kamado. A Yakatori grill (table top ceramic hibachi). Have wanted one for a while now. Mrs skreef got this for me for my birthday. This is sort of the Akorn version of a Yakatori grill but at only $70 delivered couldn't really go wrong. Me and Mrs skreef figured if we liked it and used it a lot we would eventually upgrade to the high end version.

I was going to do full unpacking pictures but that seemed like a waste of time. The grill was surrounded by foam, in a box that was surrounded by foam in a second box. Very well packed.

915d6ea55a0315618cc64ff1eebe9235.jpg

70d64204dbb1894af270373c29800024.jpg

Did an initial test burn. After that was out I filled it for the cook. In hind sight the test was not enough lump but the fill up was probably a little too much. It's a learning curve.

dd42c043219a3804ea5af11f6ec91589.jpg

5b7367cce9e6db711885bccdb8e0f82e.jpg

I wasn't prepared to do kabobs last night but that wasn't going to stop me with new grill. I scrounged up some fixins. Beef tenderloin chunks, orange honey shrimp and some other goodies.

ff2cd74265b97f63cf38288786d57208.jpg

First cooked the "veggies".

3f033d66867644ddc75914765fc57d51.jpg

d9a37a883aaed5d791bd09d7caa0cd8c.jpg

On goes the protein.

005b5eda67e6002369cfd4ef7539bf96.jpg

53fb88ad3c801b7839b4b9b507f1bf84.jpg

This was fun. Everything cooked quickly. Will probably start doing the self serve/self cook style of dinner in the future. Just lay out a variety of small kabobs and let everyone sit around and cook for themselves at their own pace.

3cfb3bc02bea5595b48db149b50f3483.jpg

• Like 1

Was thinking of preparing a bunch of mini kabobs both proteins and veggies. Also have a bunch of different basting/dipping sauces to choose from. Set it out and let everyone go to town. Could even set out some different spice/seasoning blends.

Me and Mrs skreef will probably do some version of this maybe Saturday night.

Would love to do Izakaya at home. Are you using Binchotan charcoal or just small pieces of regular lump? Would be curious to find out how well coco-char does in it?

Kanpai!! :occasion5:

Just regular lump. Small pieces from the bottom of the bag. Gets way hot enough to scorch anything if you're not careful.

I looked into the Binchotan but way to expensive for my wallet.

As for Coco charcoal I think you would have to break it up way too small. Also it's a much slower burning charcoal and you really want the glowing coals to spread as quick as possible to have even heat. With that said I'll probably give it a try one day just to see.

• Like 1

Oh HELL, I just looked this up on AMAZON and it's $52.80 with free shipping (PRIME). Hit the buy button without even thinking!!!

So, does this count as owning another ceramic grill??? :laughing6:

Awesome - it's small but for the price you can't really go wrong.

A fun little grill.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Oh HELL, I just looked this up on AMAZON and it's $52.80 with free shipping (PRIME). Hit the buy button without even thinking!!! 

So, does this count as owning another ceramic grill???  :laughing6:

Tony I have your same buying problem.LOL

I said for $53 I'm in. I went to amazon.ca low and behold $144 plus $28 shipping http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B003601SRA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1439405855&sr=8-1π=SX200_QL40&keywords=yakatori+grill&dpPl=1&dpID=41EknroyqPL&ref=plSrch.

I have to rethink this one or look for cheaper.

Tony I have your same buying problem.LOL

I said for $53 I'm in. I went to amazon.ca low and behold $144 plus $28 shipping http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B003601SRA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1439405855&sr=8-1π=SX200_QL40&keywords=yakatori+grill&dpPl=1&dpID=41EknroyqPL&ref=plSrch.

I have to rethink this one or look for cheaper.

Tiny I use amazon.com for everything.  I stay far away from the .ca site.  

If you ever see deals better in the US with price exchange, order to my postal address in Lewiston NY.  I pay 5.00 a parcel to pick up

If you ever see deals better in the US with price exchange, order to my postal address in Lewiston NY.  I pay 5.00 a parcel to pick up

Thank you Bosco. I have a postal box in Niagara Falls, NY but from Vaughan it's a little far so I save my trips for important items...Yakatori Grill may be important enough.